You can type here any text you want

Are wheel spacers/adaptors safe?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Timbuick

I know plenty people use them,but how safe are they under aggressive use?
I ask as i'm considering putting my GTA fronts on the rear which will require spacing to get them to look right.
I'm not entirely happy with the idea of lots of hp and billet spacers even though i'd like to use them!

Do you have four front GTA wheels? Anyway, buy 2" lug studs at Advance Auto parts, and use a 7/16" spacer on the rear axle. No danger. Billet spacers can break and one of the guys here wiped out his quarter panel on his GN when one did.

If you don't have four fronts, and are planning on spacing the rear GTA on the front of your car, I don't like that idea.

If you go with spacers, make sure you upgrade your wheel studs. You will need longer studs and you may need to look at larger diameter studs if you are looking at competition such as autocross or drag (slicks) racing. Also, get hub-centric spacers if possible. Buy from a reputable supplier...NOT e-bay. Discuss your intentions with the supplier!
Conrad Carter
"Hot Air"

ps...wheel adaptors are an entirely different story! Is that what you are considering?

Guys, thanks for the response. I have 2 fronts and 2 rears. I am considering swapping back to front. The reason is that I want to fit a set of GNX arches to my car. The rears simply sit too deep inside the wheel well.
I already have 2" studs on the rear, but they will only accept around a half inch spacer.
In brief, can I put the fronts onto the rears without resorting to adaptors which I distrust on safety terms?

I've run billet adapters for 4 years now without any problems. I don't think 4 fronts look right as they place the wheels too far in the wheel well in the rear.

Fronts should fit rear with no problem. The rears are another subject altogether. Install B-car front spindles and you can run the rears on the front. Otherwise, you will need spacers.
Conrad

spacers

If the spacers are a FIT--meaning that the holes in spacers are the same as the studs (no slop) you have a much better setup. This will handle more power than the generic spacers that one size fits all. With my 29 X 10 slicks and 15 X 10 wheels (5.5 backspacing) I needed 3/16 on one side and 1/8 on the other to gat the perfect fit. I had a friend make the spacers exactly the correct size. Have to tap them on but have had O problems for 7 years now.

I agree with you & I'm in the same boat...The GTA.s just tuck to far under the car leaving to much gap between the tire & fender well., not an aggressive look at all. :frown: I check on having them widened to a 9" but the cost was over $300 per wheel. :eek:

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I like my GTAs, just not so far under the rear arches.
That red T is great, like the color:cool:

Well, thanks Tim. Nice of you to say. I had GTAs once on a GN I owned and though they claim the same offset as IROCs, they did seem to be a little less "out", if you know what I mean. But again, I can only relate what I know or have heard personally about spacers. The fellow who told me he destroyed his quarter panel was a regular poster here, and may still be on here, but I just can't remember his handle. He was very unhappy about the damage. IMO, I think at the very least you should have 4 front GTAs because it takes a lot of spacers to make the rear GTA wheel work on the front. Not desirable. ;)

Having a re-think. Also, can't really ignore the stamped message inside the rear wheels that says 'for rear use only' or similar!

Having a re-think. Also, can't really ignore the stamped message inside the rear wheels that says 'for rear use only' or similar!

Well, I think the message is strictly about fitment. I had a 67 Skylark with a 455 and only the rear IROCs fit ... all the way around. :D

Not on

"Are wheel spacers/adaptors safe?"
Maybe, a thin spacer, but NO adapters on any of my cars..:eek:

Just read this off a 4 wheel drive forum. Interesting...
You will never find wheel adapters or spacers on any vehicle I own.

The design of vehicle suspensions, and the matching of wheels to those suspensions, should be left to experts. The hairs go up on the back of my neck when I read about putting spacers or adapters between the wheels and the hubs JUST TO CHANGE THE APPEARANCE OF THE VEHICLE.

Here's a bit if insight into some of the effects of doing this:

A vehicle is not a "rigid body". It is flexible. As it rolls down the road, it flexes, and this includes the suspension components. I mean that the individual components of the suspension actually change their shape, and they change their positions and orientations relative to each other.

For example, the upper and lower control arms of the Tundra front suspensions pivot at their inboard ends. They pivot about bushings that are partly RUBBER.

Think about what happens to the control arms when you apply the brakes: 1) The forces generated try to rotate the spindle so that the upper ball joint is pushed forward and the lower ball joint is pushed rearward; 2) They push the tire, wheel, and spindle toward the rear, which pushes both ball joints toward the rear; and, 3) They try to rotate the tire, wheel, and spindle so the front of the tire points more outboard (i. e. because of the positive scrub radius, it tries to make total toe more negative), by putting an inward force on the end of the tie rod, thus pulling outward on both ball joints. Now, just what is the "net force" on a ball joint, and thus what is the "net change" in the orientation of the control arm to which it is attached?

If you space the wheel more outboard the vehicle, this DRASTICALLY increases the scrub radius, which is small to begin with. It thus DRASTICALLY increases the negative change in total toe that happens upon braking, especially hard braking. Do you want to GUESS what the effect is, just because you like how it LOOKS?

As I stated above, the vehicle flexes as it rolls down the road. In fact, total toe changes as it rolls depending on, among other factors, the speed of the vehicle. In a rear wheel drive vehicle like the Tundra, with rack-and-pinion steering mounted behind the front axles, total toe tends to become more negative as the speed increases. The specification for total toe is set such that the the "dynamic" total toe at a nominal speed (commonly about 55 mph) is zero. This prevents tire wear and increases stability, because the tire is not "scrubbing sideways" as it rolls down the road.

The increased scrub radius GREATLY affects the change in total toe due to speed. So, if you set the alignment of total toe dead on the factory spec, does that result in total toe being zero as you cruise down the road? Again, do you want to GUESS what the effect is, just because you like how it LOOKS?

How often have you seen or heard of a traffic accident which appears to have no reasonable cause? The driver just turned a corner or put on the brakes and the vehicle swapped ends? Next time it happens, look to see if the vehicle has stock wheels and tires on it.

I apologize for the rather strident tone of this response, but this subject is a raw nerve with me. I don't presume to tell people what they can and cannot do in modifying their own vehicles, but I point out that the accidents that result from modifications often have undeserving victims.

I follow the beat of a different cliche. I don't own a vehicle to impress anyone. Mine look fine, and I keep them clean and in good repair. To me, they are just transportation. I am concerned with how they work and how safe they are, not with what passersby think of them.

So, what do I drive? I have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab V8 SR5 4WD with the offroad package, on factory alloy wheels with Michelin LTX M/S in P265/70R16 tires. My wife has a 2001 Sequoia SR5 4WD, on factory alloy wheels with Michelin LTX M/S in P265/70R16 tires. I am VERY satisfied with how they drive.

07-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Source
Wheel Spacers - Are they safe? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

This board has become TGO.

You guys can dance on my grave when my adapters cause the toe to change and I drive up a tree.

And just think of the "Fortunate 547" driving around with those dangerous wheels that increased the scrub radius and caused negative toe at speed. Or the wheel spacers GM used to put on drum-brake optioned thirdgen f-cars. God help them all.

The preceding was written with tongue in cheek and head in ass :wink:

i just put the post up to stimulate debate! I should have put up the thread I found that notes that Porsche use adaptors on some of their cars straight from the factory;)

Back