You can type here any text you want

Arp moly-lube or 50w oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

esm

have my rod caps off replacing my rod bearings -- called arp for the spec and was told i had to use there moly-lube and talked to friends and was told to just use 50w oil --- any info

I'd bet..

have my rod caps off replacing my rod bearings -- called arp for the spec and was told i had to use there moly-lube and talked to friends and was told to just use 50w oil --- any info
ARP says to use the proper lube for a reason..;)

You can buy a stretch indicator and use nothing but light oil if you want to be real accurate

I would say you can use either one. Just adjust the torque specs to what you are using.

For pro mod stuff; when at the shop we use moly, when checking bearings at the track we use oil.

Chris

If you read their instructions they supply, they indicate you can use either one.

The amount of torque needed to get the fasteners to stretch correctly is the trick.

The torque specs listed by them are meant to be used with their lube.

If you use motor oil it is 2 to 3 TIMES as much torque according to them.

I found this out when reading the specs for a set of head studs we pu in a motor.

If you got to ARP's website click on the link for the 2009 catalog. Go to page 24 and they have a torque chart that shows you torque with oil and moly.

This is a good chart to have when putting any engine together.

ARP | Catalog

The "new" ARP product ad states that you may "see" torque "scatter" with products such as oil. The new lube, [ULTRA-TORQUE], is supposed to reduce the scatter from getting 60 to 70 % of what is required, to a 5% scatter.
The part number of the new lube is: 100-9910
Summit will have it this month... About $20/bottle.

Back