ARP rod bolts with rods already resized?

V SICKS

I went ahead and resized my rods a few months ago while I had access to the equipment with stock bolt with the though of using ARP when I put them in the engine. ARP says to always resize the rods. New stock bolts from TA are like $6 each, same as a set of ARP. I don't know the history of the stock bolts that are in the rods so would want to replace them or get a set of stock that were taken out of an engine and never retorqued. I don't want to resize again because no access to equip and not going to pay someone to redo them. Has anyone ever put the 123-6002 ARP's in a set without resizing the rods and did you have problems? THANKS..mike

is your motor worth to you what it would cost to have them checked & possibly resized... i think we all know the answer to that ..just my 2 cents

I can put a new set of OEM bolts in and be 100% safe, and right on the money size wise. How many turbo guys have broken a rod bolt?? Not very many I bet. I'm trying to find out if anyone actually did put in a set of ARP's with out resizing and had no problems? THANKS for the input and lets hear from you guys...mike

If it where me I'd have the rods resized even if you use "stock" bolts. The bolt lines up the cap so anytime you change one you risk throwing that off. (I'm sure you all ready know that. You didn't use the same bolts to do all the rods did you?) If you think about it our engines aren't real hard on the rod bolts because they don't rev that high so if you have good bolts on the rods I would just leave them.

its a definite requirement for me.

New bolts clamp differently then the stockers do. a good heating and cooling cycle, then the bolts are torqued and released twice, is the procedure we follow. this is manditory on new aftermarket rods IMHO.

the same goes for the bottom end of an engine as well. if you change main cap bolts or go to studs, the mains need to be resized as well.

A.j.

If you already had the rods rebuilt I wouldn't be worried if the oil clearance checks good. Opinions are nice, but actual proof from measurements are better :D

My opinion: I'd install the ARP's and remeasure the big ends. If you measure any out of round..........resize the rods. If the big ends check out with new bolts, go with it!!

Of course you'll have to rebalance (weight match) the rods again.

A freind took my block down to get the crank for me ,and didnt put the rod ends back on the rods they camr off. How can you tell who go where, can the machine shop put them right when they do the rods??

I would use a new set of stock bolts. Your rods have been resized with stock bolts and I have NEVER heard of anyone having an issue with stock bolts failing.