Astro Roof help please

1st-GN

My 84 has a switch in the trunk next to the astro roof motor. Any ideas what it is for. Flipping it "on and off" does nothing to the operation of the roof.

Also, trying to identify this shield and where it is supposed to be mounted under the hood.

Thanks

Attachments

• My GN 009.jpg
    My GN 009.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 249
  • My GN 011.jpg
    My GN 011.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 225
I never saw a astro roof design like that. All the roofs I have seen had motor in roof near the front of assembly.

This set up looks like it uses this motor and cables to move the panel. I am guessing about this at best. I have not spent any time with this car yet to be able to determine if that is how it works.

Anyone who has a Astro Roof car, please post a photo of the roof from the outside and the inside. I would like to compare roofs.

Take a look at your SPI label in the trunk, and look for option code CF5. That's the code for the factory astro roof. I doubt yours is factory with that motor in the trunk. Those certainly aren't factory bolts mounting it up.

Look at the top of your car. Is the astro roof hole smooth with NO frame?

Dave, the hole is larger then what I remember the hole in my factory sun-roof 74 camaro being. My camaro had a metal panel and it was frameless. This one is glass panel with a frame. It is factory looking. The headliner and such looks really good. I had my doubts about it being factory. This is a Flint, Michigan built car.

I will check the trunk sticker for that code. Thank you!

Take a look at your SPI label in the trunk, and look for option code CF5. That's the code for the factory astro roof. I doubt yours is factory with that motor in the trunk. Those certainly aren't factory bolts mounting it up.

Look at the top of your car. Is the astro roof hole smooth with NO frame?

here are some pics of my 85 GN. hope it helps. its factory with the CF5 code. i definitely don't have that motor in the trunk like that.:confused: let us know what you find out.

IMG_2289.jpgIMG_2291.jpgIMG_2292.jpg

I do not see CF5 on the trunk sticker of my car. Was this the same code for 1984 cars?

That ebay sunrook is factory CF5. If you don't have the CF5 then yours is aftermarket.

you are correct, that is the shield that goes up near pass side valve cover.

your astro roof does look like a factory one. and the motor is mounted in the roof near the front and is much smaller than the one in your trunk picture.
the motor in your trunk is not factory. are you sure that motor is for your astroroof? does it work? give it a good look over. look for a data plate. if still unsure, you could hook 12v up to it and see what happens:cool: