Atmosphere vented Ext wastgate

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
I have always loved the sound of the wastegates on the straight six import (RB, 2jz, etc), rotaries, ect setups that vent to the atmosphere vs back into the exh.

I think it would sound nasty once it cracks.

Back in the day somefolks put them on the crossover.

I guess the heat from the exiting exh around the turbo/downpipe would be of concern with the a/c, oil, trans cooler lines as well as the front steering stuff.

The pluming I guess its just easier to put it back into the DP

Just kicking a setup around in my head. Miss my old R32 Skyline setup...that thing sounded sick when it cracked

I vent on my 91 Talon straight onto the street, no restriction and is easy to work around etc. It's a tad loud but I can hear it because I still have the stock muffler through a 3" Dp, cat, cat back system. :eek:

I never liked the sound of an open wastegate on a street car. It makes an otherwise quiet turbo car sound obnoxious. Stealth goes right out the window. Plus, since the exhaust coming out of the gate is pre-turbo, it sounds like an open exhaust V6. Not the most appealing sound.

My .02.

It does reduce the amount of exhaust you are pushing from the turbos downpipe to the rear exit.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8suYHzQyJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8suYHzQyJI&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

like this old school buick?

It does reduce the amount of exhaust you are pushing from the turbos downpipe to the rear exit.

True and it also keeps the reentry turbulance of the wasted exh from disturbing the turbine exit flow if reintroduced back into the exh as most buick set ups do.

i just run a screamer pipe off my tial 44 straight to the ground. i didnt wanna route the wg back into my exhaust due to the possible backpressure it would cause at the "re-entry" point.

I always believed if you ran the dump back into the DP it would help with scavenging and keep things moving because of the extra heat.

I'd think the bigger risk is the recirculating exhaust choking up the wastegate since these pipes usually have a 90 degree bend in them.

It can be loud though but I think the absence of reentry turbulence and the freer gate operation are bigger pluses personally.

I'd think the bigger risk is the recirculating exhaust choking up the wastegate since these pipes usually have a 90 degree bend in them.

It can be loud though but I think the absence of reentry turbulence and the freer gate operation are bigger pluses personally.

I concur

When I ran my old GN as a dedicated race car, I vented the gate straight down. That said, I have been 10s with the gate routed back into the exhaust. Since my T is a street car, I prefer it quiet so the gate is routed back into the downpipe. I like having a whisper quiet 10 second street car.

I have a dedicated race car when I'm in the mood to make noise.:D

I used to run a Deltagate mounted on my crossover pipe and when I went WOT it sounded wicked.