ATR 14" Cold air kit

cam69ss

Turbo Member
Hi,
Anybody using this care to write down what they think of it? Pros, Cons? it looks kinda restrictive? It will be used on a stock GNX.
Thanks,
Dan

14"

I ran one on my 86 G/N for a while with the black cone on, took the cone off for more air. The set up looks great on the car,like it came from the factory, but i do not think it can pass enough air for top performance. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'd go with something like Mark Hueffman's Big Mouth:
http://www.buickgn.com/bigmouth.htm

or...

Pete Tomka's cold air kit:
petomka@juno.com (does he have a Web site??)

I've got a buddy that has the Tomka kit. It's pretty nice and goes along with the somewhat stock appearing theme (hoses vs. pipes). If it were me, I'd go with the Big Mouth (my car is far from stock), or make my own.

-Banning.

i have one on my car and i think its bad a$$. i got the ram air hose from atr and a scoop from kirbens. put the scoop in the driver side air dam and ran the hose to the snorkel. and as far as power it dynoed a 20 hp improvement minimum on a stock car, and went 9s@140 on a not so stock car.and it looks like it came on the car from factory. just want to say i like it:)

Originally posted by mark p. liner
as far as power it dynoed a 20 hp improvement minimum on a stock car, and went 9s@140 on a not so stock car.

You shouldn't believe everything you read in the ATR catalog. They don't tell you you'll get weird MAF readings or that the 3" X 14" K&N flows less air than a 3.5" X 6" filter or that at the track there is ZERO horsepower increase between the ATR ram air system and a 6" K&N hooked to the stock aircleaner elbow. I'll tell you this, because I'm not trying to sell something.

UNGN,
How can the 6" filter flow more than a 14" filter if they are made form the same material? Without doing calculus the surface area on the 14" is over double the area than the 6." Do you know why the kit would cause erratic readings for the MAF?
Dan

Another "Cold Air" situation

Hmmm... Where to start.....

Well, I think I'm one of the few people that have actually tried just about every type of air intake system out their and from my experience, running the "scoop" from the drivers side air damn with a hose of some sort to an OPEN K&N filter seems to work best for me.

I will not write any negative comments about any of the products that vendors are selling. I will tell you that there IS at least one down side to each of them.

I will tell you this, there is NO escaping hot air. It's going to get you no matter where the filter is. It's cooling that back down the fastest while moving that I consider the most valuable.

I’d suggest keeping the filter outside of any box, while delivering cold air in the fashion stated above.

Good luck.

BTW, my K&N filter is only 8'', but it has a 4" inlet.

I have tried SEVERAL sizes and this one works the best.

Originally posted by cam69ss
UNGN,
How can the 6" filter flow more than a 14" filter if they are made form the same material? Without doing calculus the surface area on the 14" is over double the area than the 6." Do you know why the kit would cause erratic readings for the MAF?
Dan

Because the restriction of a K&N is at the throat and not in the filtering elements. A square cornered 3" outlet flows as much air as a one with a 2.4" diameter outlet with a proper venturi.

If a 6" filter has a proper venturi and a 14" filter does not, the 6" filter will flow more air.

I'm not sure of the source of the erratic readings. Either the flex hose, the air dam or the canister. Many people have experienced these reading fluctuations, though I can't say if performance is hurt buy them (fueling might be effected).

Cam69ss,

Click here to check out thr 4"TINMAN Cold-air induction kit... http://members.fortunecity.com/modelman5/tinmancoldairkit.htm
This kit works great with a stock engined, 86-87 T/R yet will take you into the 9's if you desire. It is the only cold-air kit known of that has been flo-bench tested at 1200+ cfm. It includes a superior" aFe "brand reusable 4" X 9" filter w/ radiused "velocity stack" neck. No cutting or drilling needed and installs in about 1/2 hr.

Al:cool: