ATR Crossflow guys inside

UnderdogGN

hi, just wanted to ask a few questions about the atr crossflow exhaust system. How does it sound in your opinion? How would the sound be compared to say, a hooker dual exhaust? Are there any downsides to this system? Also if anyone has any sound clips or videos that would awesome.
thanks

Originally posted by UnderdogGN
hi, just wanted to ask a few questions about the atr crossflow exhaust system. How does it sound in your opinion? How would the sound be compared to say, a hooker dual exhaust? Are there any downsides to this system? Also if anyone has any sound clips or videos that would awesome.
thanks

I installed the ATR D C exhaust a few months ago with the ATR header and crossover and I think it sounds absolutely mean. The muffler is so straightthrough that I took a picture of my wife through it. My neighbors swore I put a V8 in the car.

I do notice some drone at certain speeds and throttle, but I like the setup and install. I did the install myself and it wasn't that bad. I also have several pictures of it installed which I can email to you if you like. I also tossed the clamps it came with and installed 3" SS band clamps from JC Whitney.

It previously had a 2.75 duals with flowmasters put on buy the previous owner. I gained 2-3 psi when I cut them out.

that would be sweet if you could send some pics.
click on the red email button for my address
thanks

anyone else????

Bought mine used in great Stainless steel shape from a board member for my GN.

Fit was good, only had to trim 1" off the front pipe to fit it in perfectly. Only paid $50 to have it installed on a lift so that was a plus as well. :)

Sound is better than the WE4 which has dual 2.5" stainless Kenne-Bell system with stainless Ultraflows.

Much deeper tone than a 2.5" system and sounds meaner at idle and just off idle etc.

Still drones a little like they all do at 1800 or so rpms.

Hollow 3" cat. on both cars, ATR one piece crossover on the GN and two piece on the WE4 in stainless.

I like the system and it allowed me to fit my 3.5" alum. driveshaft where the duals wouldn't fit with it.

With the cat. on for emissions last month the drone and tone was quieter but still deeper than the 2.5", just a bit more muffled and that was a Random Tech. Hi-Flo cat. Also a good product in MHO.

I like the system.

:cool:

I have this on my Silver T and although I haven't driven it much yet, when I did drive it, it sounded awesome. I wish I had it on my GN just because of the sound.

I agree with the other guys....it really sounds like a V8...other than the turbo whistle ;) :D

I really like mine. Install was pretty easy, 2-3 hours while the car was on jackstands, including cutting off the old system. I do agree with the Marc87GN, the included clamps are junk, do yourself a favor and pick up four 3" band clamps. I love the way it sounds deepand smooth at idle and cruise, crisp and nasty under boost:eek: :D

I have it on my car and the wife's car. It's way louder than a hooker exhaust system, but I'm used to it and I like it. The system is so open that it makes the turbo sound like a diesel engine turbo, you can hear it spooling right off idle. One of the best and simplest exhaust systems out there for our cars. And most importantly it fits without rattling on anything. I bought ATR's stainless clamps and those have been great, makes it easy to service the exhaust when I need to install the CAT for emissions testing.

Good luck getting your ATR system. I've been waiting for two weeks (and still nothing yet) for two ATR SS replacement mufflers to replace the rotted out junk alum muffs that came with their system. It's beyond me why ATR can't understand why people bitch about them so much.

...and do what Marc did....the band clamp idea is something I wish over and over that I tried. Trust me, if you ever do anything in the future where the exhaust needs to be moved, you'll be pissed at yourself for tightening the u-clamps too far!

I tried to run the exhaust "snug" to avoid this, but there just isn't enough tension to hold the system where it needs to be for any long period of time....unless you don't mind adjusting the exhaust every other time you go out.

Otherwise, the system is pretty nice for the price and saves weight and space. If you don't have a cat, like myself, then the drone will be worse....I wouldn't plan on being happy if this is a daily driver in this scenerio. Otherwise, if it is a weekend warrior....you'll love it :D

Good luck,

Hey Maltman thanks for the tips.
Drthv8r- Im going to order it from www.horsepowerfreaks.com
Its actually like an import car place, but they sell the ATR systems for our buicks. My uncle bought an ATR system from them and shipping was relatively fast.

Originally posted by Drthv8r
Good luck getting your ATR system. I've been waiting for two weeks (and still nothing yet) for two ATR SS replacement mufflers to replace the rotted out junk alum muffs that came with their system. It's beyond me why ATR can't understand why people bitch about them so much.

Someone posted a link a week or so ago that said ATR was bankrupt. You better check on who you ordered from.

Originally posted by DKREDT
Someone posted a link a week or so ago that said ATR was bankrupt. You better check on who you ordered from.
Yep I read the link. Thanks. This isn't suppose to effect me, they're just dragging their feet as usual.

Good move Underdog good luck with your purchase.