You can type here any text you want

ATR Header Clearance Issues on Pass. Side

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

I am helping out a friend install his ATR headers and the cross over pipe as it comes up on the passenger side is banging into the stock control arm. Right now his suspension is dangling all the way down so it is only going to get worse with upward travel.

Has anyone experienced this before ( i am sure some have). We are thingking that we will just notch a piec out of the cotrol arm, bend it down and re weld it again to gain the clearence.

Any help ,advice and expereince would be great.

Adrian

Before doing any notching for clearance try bolting the suspension in place where it should be then install the crossover pipe / pass. header.

I have the Kenne Bell headers which are basically the same as the ATR headers and didn't require any work for clearance when i installed them.

suspension is where it should be but i did notice around 0.75-1.00" of shimming on the back part of the upper control arm. I know that this has caused the control arm to move back thus the clearence issue.

Adrian

karolko said:
I am helping out a friend install his ATR headers and the cross over pipe as it comes up on the passenger side is banging into the stock control arm. Right now his suspension is dangling all the way down so it is only going to get worse with upward travel.

Has anyone experienced this before ( i am sure some have). We are thingking that we will just notch a piec out of the cotrol arm, bend it down and re weld it again to gain the clearence.

Any help ,advice and expereince would be great.

Adrian

I have ATR headers and fit very well

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Had the same problems. Get some HR motor mounts and turbe a arms.. And you will more then enough clearance

This thing ever been wrecked?
1" of alignment shims is waay too much.
A. The frame has sagged, and the alignment guy was after caster.
B. The upper arm bushings are cooked from previous DP heating. [Alignment guy did a "work around".]:rolleyes:
As mentioned, motor mounts.
Also, ATR instructions stated that engine may have to be loosened and "wiggled", and the body pinch weld seam will have to be "massaged" to clear the DP.

Offset upper shafts, and/or a trip to the frame machine, should put the ft frame in correct position.

thanks for the replies guys.

I don't know if it was ever in a accident, but the shimming is odd, around 1" in the back of the A arm and on 3/8" in the front.

He is running Baer brakes but i don't think that would matter.

He is going to need motor mounts eventually so i will get him onto that right away. need to get the car running before we take it to an alignment shop again.

I mentioned buying tubular a arms but i don't know if he is willing to make that purchase.

Adrian

Pacemaker86, do you think the motor mounts alone would have fixed your problem?

Adrian

Pacemaker86, do you think the motor mounts alone would have fixed your problem?

Adrian
Not on the car i was working on. The tube a-arms that gbodyparts.com sells are very inexpensive
When i did mine i also got the lowers
IMG_2214.jpg

Back