You can type here any text you want

ATR style heater core needed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
heater core

It may be a starting point, Anderson's was selling a kidney plate for a while.

Little History: The plate and modded heater core that you are referring too I sent to Phil from ATR to copy my original. I cannot take credit for it as I purchased it from Buddy Cox back in 1995. He may still have some, but haven't spoken to him in a long time. I got his number from Ken Duttweiler originally. I still have my original, I was thinking of having some made, but most remove the heater when going to stage 2 heads.

David,
Is this the heater core that had a 1/4 cut out of an original? Dad and I both purchased one of those. Mine leaked a little bit. Dads' would have doubled as a lawn sprinkler. So, I started working with our local radiator shop to find a thin core. Didn't find anything that suited me, so I had Modine custom make a thin core. Hand fabricated the end tanks and started out using stack inlet and outlet necks from stock heater cores. That was a real PITA! I got lucky and and managed to score a 100 of each, brand new inlet and outlets. It took Dad and I both too build these in quantities of 10-15. They were pressure tested and had a 1 year warranty. We sold over 120 of these to ATR. And for the record, everyone thought they were expensive but we didn't make a dime! Pretty much a break even deal. I have to admit that ATR was pretty good to us.
David, don't take this the wrong way. Just my take on the whole thing. I got lots of experience out of the whole thing. I still have 7 cores left, but it is such a PITA that it would take $250 plus to make me even thing about finishing any of them.

Brandon

Brandon, I don't know what Phil did with this after he sent back my original pieces to copy. Didn't matter, I have the master. ATR copied, modified and sent them back to me on March 19, 1997. I dug them out and took a picture, the core now has some oxidation from being in the shed for so many years now. If I copy a few of them plates, would you be interested in making the rest of your cores.

Buddy called this The A/C Suitcase Modification Panel to clear Stage II Heads

coreS2.jpg

Just thinking out loud but is there a B&M stacked plate oil or trans fluid cooler the right size? The oil coolers have bigger fittings, I think.

I got your PM, I can do them but they wont be cheap. I would include the core and plate, fit like a glove, no leaks.

oops, I should have read the whole thread, Dave is definately up to the task, I wouldnt be interested in supplying.

heater cores

Dave, that is exactly what Dad and I originally received from ATR. Like I said before, when pressure tested, both leaked. Mine just leaked a little, but Dads' would have made a good lawn sprinkler!!
As Bill has indicated, these can not be made cheaply. There is a lot of material and labor involved.
Dave, I would have to check and see how much brass sheet I have left to make end tanks. I would also have to see if I have any inlet/outlet necks left. Probably back to robbing necks from stock heater cores. The problem I have now days is a job that takes up a lot of time. A foundry is a huge task to stay on top of maintenance wise. If I have the stuff to complete a few, I will let you know. They will cast around $250.

Brandon

I'll see what I can do. Please note, The $250 does not include the fiberglass kidney plate (that is what ATR called it). You will have to get that from Dave. David Husek, maybe we should discuss this via PM? It wouldn't hurt if I knew what you were thinking. I'll shoot you a PM.

Brandon

I thought $250 included everything! Perhaps someone can pull it all together and offer it as a kit. I will retract my offer for now. Anyone know how much a kidney plate will cost?
Hot Air

Having a senior moment here, so bear with me. I'm interested in getting these pieces for when, and if, I build another car. Not sure who is doing what pieces, would it easier to have someone like Ron Davis or DeWitts make the core and Advanced Composite Products make the plate?

If this would make it possible to remove the PS valve cover w/o unbolting my engine from motor mounts, it will be priceless. Also, changing the back spark plug is a real adventure that I could do without!

Does anyone have the mold for the kidney plate? Anyone got a pic of this installed on a car?
Conrad
Hot Air

I dont know if this will help anyone but the Permacool Mojave heater is small enough to go behind an AC heater plate under the dash , my dash may be missing a support here or there and other stuff but its doable ...did this in my car

Guys does anyone know were I can get a picture or buy a kidney plate, I dont care about the heater core, just want to get or make the plate.
Thanks

Guys does anyone know were I can get a picture or buy a kidney plate, I dont care about the heater core, just want to get or make the plate.
Thanks

I have the old ATR kit tucked away in a box some where, let me see if I can find it and take pics.We will see!!

Prasad

Thanks so much, Im getting ready to put in my Stage motor and really just want to gain some extra clearance around the passenger valve cover. Right now Im not planning on hooking up the heater, but who knows I may later on.

Sure appriciate the help.

Brad

Thanks so much, Im getting ready to put in my Stage motor and really just want to gain some extra clearance around the passenger valve cover. Right now Im not planning on hooking up the heater, but who knows I may later on.

Sure appriciate the help.

Brad

I will do my best to find it saturday and post the pics Monday or Tuesday!

Prasad:)

Back