ATR Swaybar

Originally posted by John B
I could be interested if you could tell me the advatages of this unit over the stock one.

Here is a pic or my friend Steve "Lips" Roytos leaving with an ATR bar. I dont remember what he keeps in his air bags. If he even runs em anymore as his exhaust used to melt them. Note the front bumper being pretty darn level.....

http://www.turbojim.com:231/jim/stevealmostair.jpg

I just want to point out a couple things for those that might be interested...

The big rear swaybar from ATR & Metco is a decent improvement over stock swaybar. A few people have reported to us that they often fit tight like they are too wide. I don't want to say anything bad about anyone's product, just passing on what we have heard & seen. Main reason is, if you have to really pound it into place, here is what happens:
You spread the control arms apart more than they should be, which puts excess pressure on the sides of the poly bushings in the CA's. Then, the sides of the bushings can shear off, and the arms shift apart where the swaybar is forcing them to go. Then, there is not enough poly surface area to take the abuse of a launch, and the center tube shears right thru the poly & hits metal to metal. I saw this happen at Bristol last year to Dave Fiscus, it was not good. He now has our rear control arms installed & no problems since.
You will have to take some material off the sides of the big swaybar if it fits too tight. It should basically fit snug, without pushing the arms apart or pulling them together when bolting the bar in. This will vary from car to car slightly, and with some manufacturers CA's.

The "wolfe" style anti-roll setup is good in theory & works good at the track, but has a few flaws:
Somewhat rigid on the street & sometimes noisy. It welds in place, so it is harder & more expensive to install. If you have to replace the bushings (they don't last), you have to cut the setup out of the car to work on it! They have been known to bind up too, losing 60 ft times, not bettering them. Hope that helps someone from trashing good parts on their car.

We were in the process of making a better stock style swaybar like the ATR unit, and had a prototype "wolfe" style in testing, when we changed directions. We are now working on a hybrid design that has the best of both situations. It will bolt in place for easy & inexpensive installation, and servicing if ever needing it. It will work great on the street, and way better on the track without binding or making noise. Price has not been set yet, but it WON'T be $400-$600 for sure. I am looking to get testing done before the snow flies so I can get into production before the end of the year. I am working on the TTA motor mounts now, or it would go faster.

I am taking e-mails for those interested right now, so I have a mailing list for info/details/pricing when it becomes available. Just fill out our catalog request on our website for now, and put down you are interested in the swaybar/antiroll setup. If you can't wait, I can understand, but it should be well worth it for those who can. As you might be able to tell, I get excited when I think about it :)

Let me guess, you want one to test out too :rolleyes: :)

Actually, I have a few guys ready & willing right now, sorry :(
One is a 9 second Chevelle that twists so bad off the line, it is basically on one wheel! If it works for him, we are all good.

I did forget to mention that the more interested parties I have, the lower the production costs will be because I can run a bigger batch of them. I have quite a few already, but more = lower price (hint hint) :D Oh yeah, more room around exhaust systems too! We are making them to fit a bunch of cars as well, but the TR's are first, then GS's, and then.....

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
Anyone have some pics of one installed? Will it work with Hotchkiss lower control arms? How much of a weight difference between the ATR and the stock sway bar?

I just installed mine Friday night. Stock bar is 11 lbs. The ATR is 25 lbs. I'm as keen as the next guy in keeping the weight down on my car but this bar is simply worth it. It also allows you to remove your front sway bar which would make it effectively lighter. Or get a hollow F-body bar for the front and call it a wash. ;)

Originally posted by LikeMy6
YES,
They will fit Metco lowers! ATR sells and recommends Metco lower control arms. they will work with Hotchkis as well. best method to fit the bar is to jack up the back of the car loosen both Lower CA's then try to fit the bar if needed use a file to remove some material from the swaybar, then use a rubber mallet to persuade the bar to fit between the arms. thats it !

Frank

Man that sounds like work! :p I installed mine by myself at 11 pm on Friday night with a bad headache. Took me maybe 30 minutes and I am the not the most mechanically-inclined person around here by any stretch. I read another post where someone said to put the front bolts through on each side loosely and then swing it up into place with a rubber mallet for persuasion as needed. Well, with the lip on the stock LCAs there was no way that was going to work. So I slid it in from the rear (OK that didn't come out so good...) on top of the lip. One good whack with the rubber mallet and it bolted right up. I had the car on jackstands and the jack under the diff and lifted just enough to allow me to crawl around on the floor without the aid of my creeper. Maybe the TR gods took pity on me that evening.

It only becomes more work if it doesnt fit just right. There are very small differences between all of our cars, thats why some have 0 trouble and others have more work ahead of them. But this is nothing that a novice couldnt handle.

Frank

Agreed 110% Frank. I think this will be the case with any sway bar...for some it will go in easily while others whose cars are slightly different from the test cars will have more work ahead of them. I'm just glad I was the former and not the latter because I was scratching my head for a few minutes as it was. ;)

Originally posted by lazaris
Paul,

Will it work with GN's equiped with Ford 9" rears?

A couple people have asked that so far. At this point, our goal is to make it fit the TR's with the 8.5" 10 bolt (stock rear), a 12 bolt, and the 9" fords. We may have it go behind the rear instead of under it, kinda like the TTA's & other cars. This way it will fit just about anything. We are still tweaking the design, but it should fit all of them once it's done. We are going to make them for the A-body GS cars as well, along with some others. My brother wants me to make one for his Suburban, says it rolls too much in the corners :)

Originally posted by LikeMy6
Just wanted to let those who are interested in buying one there is a group purchase being organized in the Group Purchase Forum. They have almost all the people needed so far.

Am interested in two of these. When will they be available? Am ready yesterday.

We all want them now, but good things come to those who wait :D My goal is to get some testing done before winter hits. Our tracks are open in Nov. weather permitting. I should have some details in 3-4 weeks, and hope to have them ready before the end of the year. Put them on your Christmas list :) It's coming up fast, only 72 days left!

Is there nothing like this at the boneyard?

I paid $11 for my front 1LE bar.

I would hate to pay $155 for the ATR bar if there is something similar at the junkyard for $11...

This sway bar is 1 3/8". And it is for the rear. It probably twice as big as that one you found in the bone yard. It is a night and day difference on the car.

Check in the group purchase section. It looks like it will cost about $170-$180 shipped.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I know the ATR bar is for the rear, and the 1LE bar is for the front.

I meant that if the 3rd gen f-body front 1LE bar is a good "junk yard" upgrade for our front bar, are there any cars out there with big rear bars that can be used for upgrading our rear?

Not that I know of. I wish there was though. I think the F-Body rears are just over an inch. The ATR bar is massive. I have the Herb Adams one that is slightly bigger than the ATR. The stock ones look like coat hangers next to the ATR or Herb Adams.