You can type here any text you want

Attention to detail...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
or, the lack of, can get you in big trouble...BTDT.
While I was replacing the ft calipers, pads, and adding the hb, there was a "BS session" going on w/ several other car guys.
When I put the pass caliper on, the lower bolt went beside the caliper brkt instead of thru it. [Besides listening to the BS, I was sitting in a position that required me to work by feel.] BAD CHOICE!
I have driven the 55 for some 200 mi since the install. Yesterday it came to a screeching halt. [Literally].
The caliper rotated up, got jammed into the upper a arm, locking the brakes.:eek:
Fortunately, I was a mi from home. I got a ride, got the trlr, and retrieved the heap.
1 bent pin, 1 set of pads, and some labor....GTG.

BOTTOM LINE: PAY ATTENTION, and double check your work! You may not be as lucky as I was...

John Wayne was right!:D

I'm surprised the caliper fit inside the wheel cockeyed.

John, the top bolt was in correctly. The lower was not. When I applied the brakes, the caliper just gripped the rotor, and attempted to rotate with the rotor, pivoting on the upper pin. [It tried to get cockeyed, as the top pin is bent.]
It immediately locked the rotor. When I backed up, the rotor became free.
There's some minimal scuffing on the back of the wheel....
Scared the crap outta me!:eek:

Update.....Somewhat a bit of vindication!:D
The lower caliper bolt was not incorrectly installed.:)
Seems that lock washers and loctite failed to retain the caliper brkt to the spindle....I had heard something hit under the fender and take off..At first, thot it was a rock...NOPE. While I was changing the pads, I inspected all the ft end fasteners.
The lower brkt bolt, [7/16NF] was gone.:eek:
Both of the dr side bolts were loose, as were the steering arm bolts. [Both sides].:mad:
Locktite, lock washers, torque wrench, all ineffective?? WTF, these are grade 8 bolts. I think once torqued, they wouldn't stretch so far as to come loose??????

New maintenence check list: Check the fasteners every oil change!

Wow, you were lucky!
good idea to check any non factory stuff at oil changes.
I'm in the middle of a redo on my 57, pulled eng/trans, rear axles, changed trans ( to O/D), new rad, a/c,.
before I test drive, I'll go over everything , once or twice!
thanks for the reminder!

Back