Attn: Bruce, Mike and other gurus....

87LS

Well, my luck strikes again. Remember the shift kit install from hell in a 87 LS Monte Carlo? The tranny is slipping like all get out now, went ahead and dropped the pan, fluid is BURNT. Talked to a tranny builder friend of mine ( he finally got back in town ) I told him everything I did, and he told there was nothing I did that could have burned the tranny up... BUT he did say the factory V-6 2004R ( CHF code ) could have been on it's way out, but when I added the 3.73 gears ( from 2.41 gears ) and then the better PR valve and kit, it could have caused the tranny to die with the added line pressure. Any truth to this? He admits to not being very familar with the 2004R, but he says auto tranny's all work under the same principles.

ANYWAY, I dropped the tranny today. I got a line on a GM remanufactured CZF Monte SS tranny w/ VERY LOW miles ( less than 100 actually, car was wrecked ). I should have it this week. My questions are as follow...

I already drilled the plate and added the slug for the TransGo kit in the CHF tranny. Can I swap this into the CZF or what? The holes were drilled bigger than Trans Go specs....they were right on with what Mike Kurtz had recommended.

I was thinking of adding the accumulator springs from the Trans Go kit to the CZF tranny. LEaving the TV circuit alone ( or is the "bootstrap" worth installing or not? Leaving the CZF line bias spring alone as well.

Basically using the bigger boost valves and PR valve that I used w/ the Trans Go kit, the acc springs, and the other valvebody springs EXCEPT on the TV circuit. Using the already drilled and slugged CHF plate as well, and leaving the CZF servo alone for now.

Will this be worth the effort? I'm not looking for tire-barking shifts, just nice and firm.

The kit I had is the "green box" Trans Go kit, what do you guys recommend I do to the CZF before I put it in the car.

Also, the converter in my 4.3 Monte is a D6 or D9, kinda hard to tell... what's the stall on these? I'm kinda interested in seeing what a little TBI'd V-6 can run w/ basic mods...I've already started the foundations of a VERY HEALTHY 408 for the car, but since I plan on building it ONCE, it will take some time to come up w/ the coin for the AFR heads etc I'll be using. In the meantime I may perform some of the basic TBI hopups on the 4.3, as I plan on trying the tweaked TBI ( w/ a 454 TB and injectors etc ) on the 408. The car will be getting a 6 speed manual at the time of the engine swap, as I'll be doing everything at the same time.

As always, any help greatly appreciated.

Anybody want the CHF core I have? I'll even throw in a OG valvebody if somebody wants it. Buyer to pay shipping and a small price for the core as I know they are getting harder and harder to find. If not, I may buy a 2004R manual and tear this one apart for ****s and giggles.

Later
Chris