You can type here any text you want

Austentemper Cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I purchased an austentemper cam (212/206;111) from one of the premier Buick turbo engine builders who swears by this cam structure and durability. I use Kmotion springs and have approximately 350 psi @ 0.525 lift (so I'm told but don't have enough information about the springs to calculate) on the nose. I have no issues with the cam but was hoping I might see feedback from others using later technology/ release austentemper cams.

What do you mean by later technology? Like a different cam core or different lobes? What lobes were they?

BPE2013@hotmail.com

What do you mean by later technology? Like a different cam core or different lobes? What lobes were they?

BPE2013@hotmail.com
I'm saying "later technology" trying to avoid the cast cam mess that occurred a few years back. The cam is sold by WRE but I believe its a Comp casting and Comp machined.

The box should have the cam core part number on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have zero issues with the durability of austemper cams if using correct spring pressures. On ALL cams be sure to deburr the oil transfers hole on the he thrust face of the cam or it will grind its own clearance into the block.

Any cast rollers make me nervous. I tried the "budget roller" years ago, what a mess!
I went billet roller 12 years ago, no problems.
To me running a hardened steel "wheel" on cast iron is the same principle as running hardened axle bearings directly on an iron axle, they eventually wear and pit the machined surface.
Get a billet roller, its only a few hundred bucks more:penguin:

Any cast rollers make me nervous. I tried the "budget roller" years ago, what a mess!
I went billet roller 12 years ago, no problems.
To me running a hardened steel "wheel" on cast iron is the same principle as running hardened axle bearings directly on an iron axle, they eventually wear and pit the machined surface.
Get a billet roller, its only a few hundred bucks more:penguin:
This comparison is inaccurate in regards to austempered camshafts. Which are much harder than "cast iron". The camshaft in my daily driver is a GM austempered hyd roller and it has 392000 miles on it. I have no worries about it going bad. I've seen austempered hyd rollers that had 50000 miles on them in turbo regals. There is a place for billet cam cores but most don't need them and they also leave a lot more room for installation issues and oiling of the drive gear is typically inadequate with a billet cam unless other modifications areade to increase the oiling in that area

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Last edited:
when you say "new release" you do realize these cores have not changed in over 10 years right? and in that time there has been virtually no failures? and that the cams you read about that failed happened around 15 years ago?

Back