Automatic Weapons

You need a Class III to have a fully automatic gun. Anyone can go out and buy an AK or a Colt or whatnot. But they are semi automatic (like you need automatic anyways).

I like guns and such, but noone should have an automatic weapon, thats getting pretty stupid.

well my buddy's father has a full auto AK47 with the 200 round drums or whatever they are... let me tell you... once you shoot this gun you wouldnt want to shoot any ordinary rifle

not for the purpose of destruction but for the purpose or pleasure ... he has 40 some acres and we would put up targets and clear them in no time... no we dont hunt with the gun or use it illegally at all other then 1 time a year he will bring it out... shoot a few thousand rounds through it and clean it again and store for another year

and you dont need a license... people have been buying full autos for a while now... all you need is money!

also if you have a semi auto rifle of any sort... a 5$ piece of metal converts it to full auto so if someone want a full auto... they will have it

Originally posted by 87ttypeV8
also if you have a semi auto rifle of any sort... a 5$ piece of metal converts it to full auto so if someone want a full auto... they will have it
And what happens to you if you get cought with that $5 piece in your gun and you don't have a class 3 license?

Originally posted by Vector
The need argument - no one should need a fully automatic weapon.
Maybe that's true, but then again no one but professional baseball players - who depend on the sport for a living - needs a baseball bat.
If I recall correctly, there has never been a legally purchased fully automatic weapon used in the commission of a crime.
Lawful citizens have the right to own firearms.
I believe that the founding fathers were smart enough to foresee that guns would evolve into stronger, more efficient, more reliable tools; and they still included the Second Ammendment in the Constitution of the United States.

Would it be ok for someone to build a hydrogen bomb in their basement? It is legal to carry even a rocket launcher that is not loaded around town. (didn't you hear the story of the guy who did that and they still took them away from him) You have the right to carry the gun yes, but there is still laws protecting from really dangerous guns and people.

As for the full auto ak, yes they are badass. The new designs of guns make it so you cannnot even modify them to make them full auto. You would need to buy a completely new reciever on the gun. If you get caught with one, you will get in big trouble.

yeah i know get caught big trouble... i just dont see the big deal with it all... i know to keep the bad guys w/o guns but i dont think you will really get in trouble for just doing some pleasure shooting once in a while... and how often do ya think people get caught with this done? i bet hardly ever

also where can you get a class 3 and how much is it
probably like 300$ a year i would think

You have to have a very good reason, ie police task force, military, etc.

So you prob cant' just go and get one, same with consealed weapons

Are u paying attention?? The AWB has NOTHING to do with machine gun type guns,. They banned SEMI auto guns!! That looked like fully auto weapons..
Not many people own or even want to own fully auto guns..

Originally posted by Demon
Can somebody please educate me? Are the pro-ban folks the same ones who want to put 75mph top speed limiters on ALL cars in the U.S.?

Not that I'm pro- or anti- assault weapon, but what do you guys do with a fully automatic rifle with a 30 round magazine? Shoot herds of slow moving quadripeds?

I would bet it is more like $3000/year
They talked about it in the new issue of shotgun news. They said it wasn't cheap. I kinda know a guy who owns a military museum. I don't think he has a class 3 even though he has sherman tanks and all kinds of machine guns. I don't know if they have working recievers. I'll ask what he knows when I see him this Sat.

well my buddy's father has a full auto AK47 with the 200 round drums or whatever they are... let me tell you... once you shoot this gun you wouldnt want to shoot any ordinary rifle

i know to keep the bad guys w/o guns but i dont think you will really get in trouble for just doing some pleasure shooting once in a while... and how often do ya think people get caught with this done? i bet hardly ever

Ummmmmm, I would not share with too many people about this experience. You definitely want to keep that little "secret" to yourself, oops too late. The ATF takes every case they even hear about EXTREMELY serious. I have shot alot of full auto weapons, but I worked at an ammunition factory and the owner had the proper license. Believe me, it is not $300.00.

I personally have no problem with any responsible person owning and firing full auto weapons. It is really no big deal, is alot of fun, but gets extremely expensive. It is so easy to modify the older weapons to full auto, and if criminals wanted to they could. The law is not going to keep not one criminal from doing this if they want to.

But to stress my point, do not give the ATF a reason to come visiting because they will. Even before 9/11 they were just as serious about modified weapons. As far as you should be concerned, you made the story up, right! Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge.

Man, what a lot of bad info here.

You don't need a class 3 license to own an automatic. A class 3 license is to deal in automatics. A class 2 to manufacture.

You can buy any automatic made before 1986....these are the transferrable ones. You will have to fill out paperwork, get it signed off by the chief law enforcement officer in your city or county and pay a $200 transfer tax. Then wait 90 days to one year for approval from ATF....and they're not under any requirement to give approval but they ususally do if there isn't a reason not to.

Any law abiding citizen in any state west of the Mississippi can legally own and possess one except in Washington state. Yep, even in CA although in reality it is virtually impossible because of the political climate and the CLE officer probably won't sign off. (Sorry, I don't know which states east of ole Miss. are freedom loving states but MOST states allow full automatics.)

And just as someone above said....it isn't ANYONE elses concern or business why a law abiding citizen should want to own one. Just to want the pleasure of owning/firing one is enough. And if you say no one should own one....add your name to the list of liberal gun banners. You're from the same mold.

The ban was on a lot of things on SEMI AUTO GUNS.. which are still machine guns, you just have to pull trigger more ..

For example, banned m4's had a longer barrel, now it's legal for shorter ones. Also there isn't a limit on magazine capacity, or pistol grip weapons, etc.

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Man, what a lot of bad info here.

You don't need a class 3 license to own an automatic. A class 3 license is to deal in automatics. A class 2 to manufacture.

You can buy any automatic made before 1986....these are the transferrable ones. You will have to fill out paperwork, get it signed off by the chief law enforcement officer in your city or county and pay a $200 transfer tax. Then wait 90 days to one year for approval from ATF....and they're not under any requirement to give approval but they ususally do if there isn't a reason not to.

You can fill out the paperwork, it's called ATF form #4, give them some fingerprints, $200, then wait for a year or so. If they think they wanna let you have the licence you will get it.

Some states make you go through courses and training to get it.

They need to reinstate the ban. Don't you people know of all the bayonet murders done before the ban!!! Now these guns can have the bayo lug back on them, Im too scared to sleep, what about the children!!! Thats about as stupid has the anti-gun people sound, anyway. Why would someone want one of these guns you ask? People have the right to like whatever they want, plenty of people ask me why do I drive that old 87 car. I tell them if you don't have one, you won't understand.

I have a MAC90 (AK47 variant) with a bunch of 30 and 40 round mags, it is extremely fun to shoot. It is even more fun after I learned a little trick about pulling the trigger in a certain way. Anyone who knows this trick (works on nearly all semi-autos) knows what it does, it emptys the mag in short order at a fully auto rate. The punchline is that you could buy an SKS and do the same thing with 10 rounds, reload with a stripper clip and do it again and again and again with a post ban weapon. Basically the Ban had no effect on anything other than destroying personal rights.

Anybody notice that handguns that had high cap mags evolved into more concealable ten round versions once the ban took effect????????

me and my roommate were arguing about owning an automatic weapon and he thinks that just anyone can purchase or that just anyone can buy a class three license does anyone know a website that straight up lets me know what the real
deal is with this ???????

me and my roommate were arguing about owning an automatic weapon and he thinks that just anyone can purchase or that just anyone can buy a class three license does anyone know a website that straight up lets me know what the real
deal is with this ???????

WOW... old thread.

But just a FYI.. you do NOT need any special license or permit to own a Fully auto weapon. You only need it's registered paperwork prooving that you legally obtained it, and that it is a "Pre Ban" gun.

I talked with a friend who has fully auto Mac 10's, AK 47's, etc. He runs a gun shop, and has to have a license only because he deals/repairs them. HE said that for $3500... I could walk in.. buy a MAC, and in 30-60 min (background check) walk out with a NFA gun legally. And shoot it at a range that allows rapid fire.

SO... no license needed... just need to have all proper paperwork from the Dealer you're buying it from.

Granted... this can vary from state to state. You're best to talk to an actual gunsmith/broker in your area for the correct answer. I can only say "GOD I LOVE FLORIDA!!!!"

HTH.

I have not been into weapons since the mid 90's but I did purchase that 5 dollar part before mentioned that converts the weapon to full auto. It was cheese ball to say the least. With a 30 round magazine in the ak it did not release until the clip was empty. Otherwords I had to hold the 7.62x39 mm solid until it was finished firing. Military grade full autos will cease firing when you release off the trigger. My grandfather had alot of land and I was shooting it in the back part of it when this happened. I purchased the part out of a small catalog from a place called Tapco in Georgia. I would be careful buying gimmics as a weapon can be deadly in untrained hands or when not working properly. Especially something with the ability to rapid fire.

I was reading a magazine on military tactics and I believe that the United States military no longer issues full auto small arm weapons to individual soldiers. They now issue the tri burst feature and semiauto only as muzzle climb and recoil is excessive in full auto. It was stated after many test they found that it was a waste of ammunition to use full auto. They claim with the right tactics the tri burst still offers cover fire and increased accuracy. Also virtually eliminating the wasted rounds or excessive wear on the weapon.