You can type here any text you want

Back 3 towers corroded!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rb68rr

I replaced my spark plug wires about two months ago trying to cure a miss. Used Taylor 409's. Took them off yesterday and noticed the back three towers on the coil pack were totally corroded!! What caused this? Can you just clean up this towers or does the problem go deeper than this? Will this hurt the inside of the coil pack? I relaced the wires with a new set of Taylor Thunderbolts and noticed my code 42 hasn't re-appeared but still has missing above 10-12psi of boost? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, R.B.

Yes it could damage the coilpack internally, resistance or arcing most likely caused the corrosion. Did you use di-lectric grease in the coil and spark plug ends of the plug wire boots?

FWIW & IMHO:
I have noticed this condition on every TR that I have ever owned, (5), be it garage queen or daily driver, and I have found that using GM Silicone grease, General Mortors part no. 1# 1052863 will help avoid or lessen this condition. This grease was actually sold for use inside the spark plug wire boot to keep the boot from sticking to the spark plug itself. I generally clean off the terminals with very fine (600 or finer) wet-or-dry sand paper and use the grease in the spark plug wire receptable that attaches after wiping as much as possibe of the rust out of the receptable. A .22 caliber cleaning brush can also be used to clean out the spark plug wire terminal that attaches to the coil pack terminal. Standard silicone grease might work, as this stuff wasn't exactly cheap. Rotating the spark plug wire boot on the coil pack terminal occasionally seems to also help this condition. I have never had a car shut down due to this condition. Not saying that it can't, though. Over all 5 cars, I have noticed that different terminals corrode on different cars. The ones that have corroded the most on my cars was the front one closest to the driver side and the 2 rear closest to the driver side? Generally the others have remained pretty clean.

I spray the inside of the boots on both ends of the wires with WD-40, let the excess drip out, then install. No corrosion, no sticking wires, and no boots pulled off - EVER...

:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
I spray the inside of the boots on both ends of the wires with WD-40, let the excess drip out, then install. No corrosion, no sticking wires, and no boots pulled off - EVER...

:)

Uhh Ohhh, now the secret's out of the bag. ;)

Back