Back from a watery grave!!!!!!

Lvnspeeed

I found a 1987 Grand National on an insurance auction site that had been in a fresh water lake. My plan is to have Richard Clark and Mike help me get this car back to its former glory.
Before anyone asks, no I have no idea on what, why, or how it wound up in a lake. All I know is I bought it from the insurance company. It will be restored!
The car had a lot of performanc goodies already (lucky me :) ) it had single nozzle alky injection, 67 mm dual Ball bearing Percision turbo, big stock location Precision IC, 60lbs injectors, Fuel pump hot wire kit, 70mm throttle body, TT chip, Mosier rear with Mosier axles and bearing support cover, and I am sure I forgetting things.

So Yesterday I dropped the car and motor off to Richard and Mike to perform their magic on. Mike is going to have to replace the roof on the car due to the stupid tow truck crushing it as the pulled the car from a lake. Richard is going to rebuild the motor. It was locked up from water sitting in the cylinders.

Body plan:
The car was VERY clean NO RUST at all anywhere, even the bumper fillers were in perfect shape. The roof is a different story (look at attached pictures). I trust Mike and his work that noone will be able to tell when its done. the car is going to be completely paited again (yes BLACK).

Motor plan:
Rebuild the turbo, injectors, and the complete motor (.0030 over due to rust). Replace the heads with Champion Irons and ported intake. Replace the cam shaft with the cam kit from Full Throttle speed 215/220. Repalce the fuel pump Werik 300 gpm intake pump. Repalce the fuel tank with a new NOS GM tank (old one had creachers living in it). Up grade the MAF with a 3.5 LS1 and translator. Repalce the pump, controller, and upgrade to a dual nozzle for the alky kit. Repalce the oil pump and timming cover with a HV oil pump and cover from FTS. Add Head Studs to the motor for saftey. Have Turbo Tweek burn a new chip, and repalce the ECU.

Interior plan:
The interoir was already PERFECT shape. I removed the seats, carpet, center console, truck carpet kit, door panels and back seat. I placed them in my basement with a larger dehumidifier near them to draw out the moisture. Sprayed them down many times with Fabreeze and they are dry now and smell great. Most of the gauges seem to be working (autometer) so I covered them with WD40. The scanmaster seems to be working also. Interior will go back in after the car is running good and paint work is finished, bascially when it returns from Richards shop.

I will update the progress and pictures as I go.

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • GN2.jpg
    GN2.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 1,714
  • GN3.jpg
    GN3.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 1,670
wow. I wonder what the carfax will show....

good luck with the resto'

Bob

I have it. It shows the car was in AZ for most of its life. Then was registered in Fl for past5 years (I think). Then shows a loan on it 2 years ago (still in FL). Then shows sale to me in AL. Nothing about the accident. Yes Clean Title.

There have been a few cars stolen from FL. I wouldn’t be surprised if it looks familiar to someone.

D

Cool deal. At least it will be saved. What part of AL you from.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Not to far away I in RUSSELLVILLE maybe 2-2.5 hours away cool beans nice find

more pctures

Attachments

• GN5.jpg
    GN5.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 1,151
  • GN6.jpg
    GN6.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • GN7.jpg
    GN7.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 1,198
  • GN4.jpg
    GN4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,144
Sending off all the sensors to be tested today. Also sending off the injectors to be cleand /rebuilt and flowed.

I'm sure someone will recognize it - couldn't have been submerged too long to still be that clean, right?

Make sure the frame is not bent the front frame horns are weak I had a car like that with less damage and the frame was bent that is if you are goung to use the body and frame.

Thats because its been replaced, the crushed fender. To me whats more shocking is the fact the passenger door now lines up with the body properly.

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Any more pics showing the roof repair beforehand? I'm really curious to see how the inner structure looks.

Great job so far. Kudos to you for restoring it.