Back from fabrication hell......

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
One MIG welder, pipe bender, electric grinder. One Summit H-pipe kit, two Summit turbo mufflers, two Summit 4-ft aluminized pipes, four 45 degree elbows and two 442 tail pipes. And finally, Pace-Setter Headers...

The Pace-Setter headers did not go in easy. The starter had to be removed and dangled with one hand while inserting the header with the other. This is because the starter won't go in if the header is installed. But also, the header won't go in if the starter is installed. :mad: Arhg!

Had to weld in the oxygen sensor bung before installing that header. Notched the left side of the cross member. The collectors were welded onto the pipes, then bent a few degrees to compensate for the awkward up and down twists of the left and right header flanges.

Now this is not for the novice. But I enjoyed the pain. Because...... WOOOW!!! It purrs during idle but growls when it's floored. This thing has awesome power! :eek:

I still got some minor tweaks before getting some pics to upload. But I gotta tell you guys, I don't think anyone had tryed this on an N/A V-6. This kicks total ASS! A real dual exhaust system with an H-Pipe. It works.....it truly works! :D

Nice! You really oughta get some sound clips.. I had some blackjack headers and magnaflow 3 chambers for my v6, but never got the money to run an exhaust, so I eventually sold them when I decided I would be building an Olds 350 for my car instead.. (Kept the mufflers ;) )

At the moment I just have a single 2 inch exhaust, a dynomax turbo muffler and a gutted cat.. Sounds pretty decent.

I have grown to love this little engine though.. I think it's gonna go in another body after I put a more aggressive cam in it.

Have you ever had a chance to race your car? I'm really curious how all you other n/a v6 guys are running. My '84 ran a best of 18.5 at 70 mph w/ a 2.5 second 60 foot time. :eek: This is on a stock rebuilt 231 with a 252 intake and quadrajet, and 3.08 rear end. Conditions werent the best.. I did this on a hot and humid GA summer afternoon.. I ran it immediately after the 45 minute drive there without giving it time to cool off. Anyway, thats my excuse. I did take out an old beat up '85 trans am though. :D

Originally posted by RCI2990
are the pace setter headers the only ones out there for the 3.8?

Actually there are a few companies but not as many as one would hope for. Headman makes a nice set for the Regal body style which will not fit a Vega at all (one can hope can't he?). I have a brand new set for sale because of it.

Originally posted by RCI2990
are the pace setter headers the only ones out there for the 3.8?
I looked for some time and could only find Pace Setters. Whatever the choice, (if there are any), it is not a bolt on fit. If one is going true duel, (not like the GN which is not), It is work intensive. Cuts, bends and welds have to be made.

If one was to take it to a local muffler shop it is sure to cost plenty. In parts alone I spent $385.00, (this includes the headers which went for $175.00). I don't think this was too expensive.

Originally posted by Cutlass84
Have you ever had a chance to race your car?
Nope. :( there are no race tracks around my way.

Hey Freddie,
I ran a Flowmaster 2-1/2" dual kit meant for a Camaro for ages...sounded sweet and until I got into the 12's, it was quicker with the exhaust than with open headers...must have needed more collector length. Keep building, have fun, and don't give up when sh*t starts breakin'!
BTW - my TA block is at the shop awaiting more funding. I still need one rod, a set of pistons, and some stainless valves to replace the titanium ones my heads came with. GB