Backfire on deceleration

al shapiro

I have an occasional hellacious backfire from the exhaust when I take my foot off of the accelerator after getting on it. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Make sure the cam sensor is properly installed and didn't move

Thank you for the reply. I recently changed the cam sensor cap trying to detect a problem that ended up being the Big Stuff 3 ECU. DO you think the cap that I put on can be bad?

Not the cap, the reluctor. That little tab that indexes it, breaks off, then your injector timing is off, then backfire.

I kind of remember replacing that tab with a stronger one that was connected to a washer underneath the cup. Anyway I will check it. It does seem weird because I just swapped cam sensor caps and now I have this problem. Does the cap ever go bad? And what happens if it does go bad? How would it act? Again, thanks for the help.

Yes. It was running perfect and then one day it just died. I never touched the cam sensor itself but I did change the cap (with another one that I had laying around) to see if that was the problem. It's got Big Stuff 3 engine management and the ECU fried something inside. I had to send the ECU back to Big Stuff. I got it back and now the car starts but now this problem.

Well changed out the cam sensor cap with the original one that was on it and problem is solved. I guess the cap was bad. Thanks again for the info. You guys are the best.