You can type here any text you want

Balancer trigger correction ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I'm having an engine built with a BHJ balancer. This will probably seem dumb, but do I need to verify the timing of the trigger first and tell the machinist how far off it is, if at all, or will the machinist be able to determine if the trigger is attached properly on his own?

tia.

Your using XFI?

Nope, I know there's a correction in there for it, but I'm using a stock ecm and Extender chip. Just wondering if the balancer trigger can be measured and what it should be set at relative to tdc or if it just gets moved based off of what correction I tell the machinist that it is off.

stock balancer is a good point of reference. the machinist could make some measurements on the stocker to see how the reluctor ring and timing mark (and keyway too) are oriented.

The TR6 ignition also has a feature for verifying that the mark is set properly.

It is very seldom the trigger wheel isw off?

We have checked a few lately balancers, and all were within a degree or 2 according to a timing light which cannot measure more accurately than that.

Even if it is off, removing and re-setting the trigger wheel should be done on a proper jig, which I doubt that your machinist has in his shop?

Having built many 10 sec. GN's with stock, BHJ and TA balancers, they have never has an issue with trigger wheel alignment running a FAST or a stock chip?

my BHJ timing was dead nuts accurate when I checked it with the TR6.

I've seen varying results with bhj and stock ones off 1-2*. I've got one I put on a fluidampr and it was at zero when the piston was at tdc. The timing tab was verified then the timing verified.

Interesting my timing is 25 degrees retarded with the Fast screen, trying to pinpoint the cause.

Here is a pic of the balancer set at TDC approx, does it look right to you?

balancer-tdc-jpg.180529

This relates to a buick Hub........the Diameter of the hub is 4.225" X 3.14 divided by 360 degrees=approx .037" is one degree for 10 degree offset you need about 3/8" past the sensor head, from where it picks up the signal.

timing.JPG

This relates to a buick Hub........the Diameter of the hub is 4.225" X 3.14 divided by 360 degrees=approx .037" is one degree for 10 degree offset you need about 3/8" past the sensor head, from where it picks up the signal.

View attachment 180534

That's a nice diagram. I always reference the wheel to the key before installing the balancer. You can eye ball real easy with the balancer off.

comparison.JPG
Here is a pic of a stock balancer and BHJ can you see the difference. I would say its about 4-5 degrees retarded.

Back