Barrett Jackson lot#60

i was browsing thru the channels and i saw some auction going on i think it was barrett jackson w.e saw a VW van sell for over $70k ?? couldnt believe it.. the reason OUR car's value's have dropped is because of US we sell these cars for peanuts the last couple of years... we have driven the market down on our car's! believe it or not.... i spoke to a neighbor of mine which he has a dealer which sells collectible car's and he tells me value stands on current market value forget kbb or nada.. its on whats selling online auto trader and etc... listen no bashing to monte carlo's ss or cutlass's or the 442's but they have grown in value that some sell for more than what we are selling on here for.. IMO dont care who i piss off a MC has absolutely nothing on a Turbo Buick..ive had my share of them SS and they have the 305ho pos with a 7.5 rear ends that break after a bit of power... just the nose and bucket seats... how can they be next to our car's in value??? we have FI ..turbo ..sport suspension.. we are cheetah's and they are next to us in value??? Are u you serious? no way in hell i dont care how bad economy is, there is an A S S for every seat..any car will sell.. look at the auction's people have money to spend..We need to drive up the value on our cars and thats that... the gnx that sold for 21k is a slap in the face for us.. its showing no respect to our turbo car's...like i said before in other threads... when i first got inline for these car's i saved up almost a whole year to buy one.. in that time you couldnt buy a GN or Ttype for less than 10k even with issues....one with some work over 15k easily w.e im done naggin im tired going to get some shut eye..

The sale prices for these cars may also have to do with peoples expectations. If one or two people sell their TR's at "fire sale" prices due to their own personal financial issues, it seems as if "buyers" see that as a weakness in the market and expect that all TR's should be in the same range... If you go to our restoration section you will see plenty of these cars being saved with an average paint job cost in the $10k range. Yet, "buyers" seem to miss that part or the part about how much an engine or trans really costs to build.

I know that for most of us these cars are toys that we enjoy and never truly expect to get all of our money out of should we ever sell but some of the perceptions on the value is really skewed... On the flip side, there are a few folks out there with TR's that are in dire need of restoration that want a ton of money because they are "collectable". I met a local guy at a show this past summer. Had a GN with 18k original miles. Car needed some help to get back up to speed. He was asking $35k and stated that if he didn't sell locally, he'd take it to BG and ask $40k! :eek:

I hope that the future holds more value for these cars.

Guys are kidding me!!! Know it's a bit off topic but not really. A 65 Shelby GT 350 was just sold for 350,000!
It was a garage find!!! A garage fine not frame off or nut and bolt restored. Have some of these lost their minds? Please let me know where in the world these people are getting the funds? Please share!
I am just trying to save money for a Razor's kit and injectors and pump from TurboTweak for my GN and new tint for the windows, plus a turbo from a friend, hehe. I have a decent job but this blows my mind. Sorry for the rant!

Stuff is only original when it hasn't been goofed with. Restored, repainted, or just spray bombed, then it isn't original any more.

As far as the fundage goes, there are only two kinds of money problems. Too much and too little. And no matter which side you are on, it is hard to see the other.

I agree with the few more years, as 5.0 Mustangs, MCSS and out Regals will get going just like triFive chevies did when those people got to the age when discretionary spending comes with much fewer consequences.

Looked like a very hit and miss auction in general. Obviously there was plenty of money in the house and it was good to see all that charity money raised. Let me rephrase, it was AWESOME to see all that charity money raised and it reflects positively on the car hobby in general when that happens. I saw several WTF moments on both sides of the equation. Biggest surprise to me was that the general lee didn't bring more. I figured it to be $500k to $1 mill. It was "the" general lee to have, hot rod magazine named the general lee the most influential hot rod of all time. BUT I guess all the general lee fans are still in the trailer park and have no money.....

Just remember that if the GN prices skyrocket, the GN PARTS prices skyrocket with them. Better hoard what you can now, or you'll be priced out of the game. Seen it happen with the mopar crowd. In the end I think most turbo buick fans will look back on the last few years as the "glory days", when cars were still being pulled from yards and sheds and most parts were plentiful and affordable. I guess the prospect of a 50k GN would make the reproduction parts more viable for the vendors to produce.

FWIW... it wasn't a GNX that sold for $21,000 It was a Grand National with mesh rims.

It was supposedly a 15k original mile car, but I guess it didn't have documents to prove it. If it was in fact a 15k original mile car, $21000 was a great buy.

The X's sold for...

$72,600

$88,000

$71,500

Riddle me this Batman.... the lowest seller, was the one with only 287 MILES!!:eek: W-T-F?!?!?!?!?!?!

I was not very impressed with the GN. They painted over ALL the trim, and the trunk trim was completely missing (though you could see through the paint marks where it should have been).

The opera windows were painted over, tail light bezels (painted a gloss like the car) etc.

The GNX's were nice.

Just some random thoughts...I remember seeing 69 camaros (base 350's) for $3500 in the local auto trader in the early 90's-at the height of the muscle car resto boom,now that same car maybe spruced up with little money and not original would be what,30k?,if I could even find one here now.

I had a 87 monte ss with a built 350 (all new but wasn't running as I lost interest and got 5.0 fever),sold it for 8k,a respectable price but I lost money and the buyer got a good deal. People LOVE those cars,I got so many compliments on that thing it was crazy. They do have a sport suspension/high ratio steering and good guages/nice interior etc btw. Anybody who can turn a wrench can drop a respectable engine in there. That little 305 would chirp going into second and would really dig in with the 373's. Not saying that engine was anything notable but...well people just liked the damn car.

GN's are a different animal in some ways,or unique to the collector market. They are all hi-po factory but base model regals can still be had for relatively cheap so keep an eye on those to watch how desireable the body style is. There are still alot of junk GN's out there,beat,rusted etc and when those start disappearing from the market(like the 69 camaros did) then the next price hike may come along.