You can type here any text you want

bearing sizes available?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rtviper

Does anyone make a rod bearing in oddball sizes like 11 thousands under? I took apart my stage II motor to look at the bearings and it had 1 thousands copper shim under the rod bearing on the rod cap side. None on the other side just the rod cap. The rod bearings were 10 under. The bearings looked good but the shim has me concerend.

If the probulm is the rod why not have it resized its going to be out of the motor anyways.same for the crank.If just geting the one done to try to run next season done even worry about it.been in your shoes before between national events and never had the shim fail. but remember its still just a bandaid.Take Care,AL.

rtviper said:
Does anyone make a rod bearing in oddball sizes like 11 thousands under? I took apart my stage II motor to look at the bearings and it had 1 thousands copper shim under the rod bearing on the rod cap side. None on the other side just the rod cap. The rod bearings were 10 under. The bearings looked good but the shim has me concerend.

I've never heard of that before either an dont understand how it could work properly, the parting lines would still be in the same location and provide the same crush. I would think that a shim under the bearing would surely distort it and cause it to be out of round. Did you measure the crank to see where it really is? After you found out what was going on with the head gaskests, and now the bearing shims, I would question the integrity of the rest of the build

I will measure the crank next. I took the shortblock to a local engine guy and he said he has seen it before. He measured the shim and it was a thousand in thickness. He looked at the rod bearings and agreed they looked pretty good. I have since found out the motor wasnt really a rebuild but it did not have many passes on it. It came from a guys car back east that ran a few 8s with the block in his twin turbo car. He took off the stage heads and sold it to the guy I got the car from. They checked it at the time and saw the bearings were ok also. The guy I bought it from has made about 4 runs and I have about 12 dyno pulls and 10 passes in the low 10s on it. Since the bearings still look good maybe its safe to run it?? Maybe the coated bearings will allow me to remove the shims?

I would not rely on the coatings to provide the clearance you need.

I have heard both stories, but a thou is a lot to pick up IMHO.

Back