You can type here any text you want

Beat a Saleen and Heads & Cam LS1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XLR8

Lost at Altitude
Test and tune night last night at the track. Got a total of 7 runs in. Beat a heads and cammed (per the owner) LS1 on MT streets 12.564 @ 109.85 to 13.882 @ 102.26. Also got a Saleen 12.131 @ 115.18 to 13.365 @ 102.77. Both were very nice guys. I also beat a supercharged Saleen, but the timing shack only gave me my 1/2 of the slip. I was in "street" tune wit 100 UL and 23# of boost on Hossier QTPs. All in all it was a fun and satisfying night. :D Before you call BS on the times, remember, Bandimere is 5800 feet above sea level and the absolute barometer last night was 23.41.

I know just what you are talking about on the altitude XLR8. I lived in Grand Junction and CO. Springs before and that alt. will make anyone wheeze. you would knock off a full second from your time if you were here ;) so that LS1 would be running around 12.80s which sounds better with the mods its owner claimed. you on the otherhand are running mid 11s.

Good job!

Frank

Even 12.80s in a head/cam LS1 is a dog. That should be an 11.80 @118 car.

Well maybe it was a manual and the guy cant drive! You also cant compare MPH from that altitude either, it would gain MPH @ lower alt. while shaving those et's. Cars run like total dogs up there turbo cars fair the best.

Frank

I don't know if it was a manual or not. I thought he was tuning with a laptop in the car then I noticed he was watching a DVD on the dash mounted player. :confused:

I did some research in Golden, CO last summer. I got to go to Bandimere a couple of times. I didn't see any GN's runnin' though. I'm from BG, KY (Beech Bend Raceway) where it's about sea level, so I could notice the altitude difference big time, even in my Bonneville. Those times are great, come to KY and run some 10's!

Great kills Royal! 13.8 sounds pretty good to me for a H/C LS1. Stock they run mid-high 14's.

Jobi-Wan, I think I might have met you in Golden last summer. I remember speaking with a GN owner from Kentucky while I parked my car to go to school at CSM. Was that you?

Hey Whooshmobile!

That was me! How have you been? Still at School of Mines? I thought I was going to get to do more work out in Golden this summer, but I'm finishing my thesis and I don't have the time. I ended up spending 6 weeks out there last summer. I still haven't had a chance to do much with my GN, but that should turn around once the semester is over this week and I'm able to job hunt.

To bad it's so far to KY for you guys, the GS Nats are May 13 thru 17. Hopefully the rain will hold off this year, but I doubt it. Any of you guys going to make it out to KY this year?

I think 8-12 club members will be going. Mike Gale in his 11.63 (at Bandimere) GN and I think Mike Verba's 65 Skylark w/'87 GN engine (11.29) will be there.

Jobi,
I finished up at CSM with those summer classes. Now, I'm just working. It is much easier to wrench on the Buick now that school is done.

I would love to go to the GS Nats, but it is just so far away.

Originally posted by Whooshmobile
Great kills Royal! 13.8 sounds pretty good to me for a H/C LS1. Stock they run mid-high 14's.

Jobi-Wan, I think I might have met you in Golden last summer. I remember speaking with a GN owner from Kentucky while I parked my car to go to school at CSM. Was that you?

mid-high 14's for a stock LS1? yikes even at that altitude sounds a little high. I ran a 13.2@105 stock at NED(new england dragway)

Yes, the altitude kills you - especially in a N/A car. LS1s run in the 14s, LT1s in the 15s, Mustangs in the 15's, I did see amoded Z06 run a 13.3. I killed a Viper GTS at the track last year - he ran a 13.5 or so if I recall. Come up to the mountain sometime and see for yourself.

Accully a bunch of heads and cam LS1's got together at Darlington last weekend and the best anyone did was a 10.98 and that was in a LT1 stroker motor with a 200 shot! There was one guy there in a LS1 stoker, heads,cam full roll cage and spray that could only do a 11.50? Maybe it's this area, but they sure aren't fast enough on the track! Most of em are broke most of the time anyhow. That's one thing they sure did make these Buicks tough! Long lasting too!

Originally posted by Gmachine
Accully a bunch of heads and cam LS1's got together at Darlington last weekend and the best anyone did was a 10.98 and that was in a LT1 stroker motor with a 200 shot! There was one guy there in a LS1 stoker, heads,cam full roll cage and spray that could only do a 11.50? Maybe it's this area, but they sure aren't fast enough on the track! Most of em are broke most of the time anyhow. That's one thing they sure did make these Buicks tough! Long lasting too!

ya sometimes cars just don't run like they should. LT1's are pretty strong when it comes to mods I'm suprised that car was only running a 10.98. There's alot of guys around with just valvetrain upgrades and 100-150 shot running deep into the 11's with no other motor work. And the guy pulling 11.50's in a stroker LS1 with juice should just give up..lol But ya the buicks are well made and if they gave loans for them i'd own one. But not until I sell my firehawk.

Originally posted by TTA89
Even 12.80s in a head/cam LS1 is a dog. That should be an 11.80 @118 car.

Have I ever mentioned the supercharged LS1 I beat? :)

LS1 HEads Cam

Good Runs, but yes you need to know that any LS1 with just a decent heads/cam will turn 11's all day long and some may see high 10's with weight drop

Back