You can type here any text you want

Beehive spring question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
Been looking for a beehive spring that was a little lighter than comps that everyone has been using and found these.

CHEVY VALVE SPRINGS BEEHIVE : eBay Motors (item 280456728970 end time Feb-24-10 16:38:04 PST)

It says 76 LBS on the seat @ 1.8" and 220 LBS @ 1.32". This is about what the comp 980's are so I think I could use them for a flat tappet cam or a mild roller. Am I right about this guys? What else will I need besides new keepers to use them?

Personally, I would not use them on a roller.
Flat Tappet, sure (Pending lift) . . . . . but not on a roller.
Too much weight at the lifters for the rpm/boost you intent to run. :eek:;)

Not on a roller. Hyd flat its a good setup. You can get more out of them by shimming them.

If I'd had your email Brian I'd have sent you an email. Are there any other mods that I need to run them except for the keepers and locks to use these? Granted I'm only running a 201/214 but I've rollers at 1.6 so I'm just shy of .500 for the lift.

I forgot to add that the guides are cut down to the seats. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 311
There are 2 different types of stem seals used w/ these springs.
Early = spring base locator and seal in 1 piece.[Looks like a tophat]
Late = seperate parts.

If I'd had your email Brian I'd have sent you an email. Are there any other mods that I need to run them except for the keepers and locks to use these? Granted I'm only running a 201/214 but I've rollers at 1.6 so I'm just shy of .500 for the lift.

I forgot to add that the guides are cut down to the seats. Here's a pic.

You can order some locators but you may need to cut the seat down some more.

Thanks to both of you.

Chuck, do you know what years they had the one piece, and will it work like a standard SBC umbrella seal?

Brian, do you have a part numer or link so I can take a look?

The heads off the LS1 out of my bud's 02 Vette had the 1 pc seals. I put those heads on my LQ9. I had to change to the seperate seal design and use the locators on them when I changed to the 26918 springs.
Not sure of the cut off yr.
I may still have the old seals.. I could take a pic if you need it.

Thanks Chuck. That would be very helpful. Just trying to find a better way to skin the cat on this one. I've go KB rollers and don't really want to cut them for clearance if I don't have to.

Thanks to both of you.

Chuck, do you know what years they had the one piece, and will it work like a standard SBC umbrella seal?

Brian, do you have a part numer or link so I can take a look?

I dont have the part number. Last time i didnt even use a locator. I used hardened shims. I would use locators in the future though. It was my engine and didnt have the time to wait for locators so i just put them on without them. Engine still revs cleanly to 5800@25psi. You have to measure the guide OD and the spring OD and look at the locators offered. Looks like you may need to take off a little material so the locator has a nice flat area to sit on. You should be able to find something when you look at the dimensions offered.

Thanks Brian. I'm used to normal springs but beehives are a new idea and a great one. I don't think I will have any problem getting to 5500 with these and they will clear the rockers, which is one of the issues.

Could you suggest someone to call? Maybe Mike at full throttle? Could he shed some light on locators for me?

You shouldnt need new keepers unless you want to upgrade

Correction!!

The 01 heads,[LS!], I have put on, had the "standard design" type GM seals. They were "harder than the back of Superman's head", and needed to be changed.
When we ordered new GM viton seals, they came w/ the locators built in. So, they must have been used /dropped prior to the 01 heads being built.

I returned them, and got the late design seals from the Chebby dlr. I used the oem locators, even tho the fit was poor. [IMO, anyway]. Comp has the correct locators, but they ain't cheap!:eek:
I did use the CC super locks and retainers.

Thanks Brian. I'm used to normal springs but beehives are a new idea and a great one. I don't think I will have any problem getting to 5500 with these and they will clear the rockers, which is one of the issues. . . . .

I was told that locaters, although preferred, are not needed on a iron head.
If they were, FTS would carry them.

The 5500 RPM should be fine, depending on the boost number.
The higher the boost, the less the effective RPM range of the springs. (But you already knew this. :cool:)

LOL thanks Jerryl. Just looking of an alternative to the normal spring after all. I don't think the boost will be crazy but I'm hoping to make it into the low 20's at least so I don't think it will be a problem.

Back