You can type here any text you want

Bent rear dust sheilds? Gonna hurt or not?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Hey guys, I am putting a stock posi rear in place of my peg leg one and I noticed that the dust shield that the drums rotate around are a little bent. It is enough that I had to try to straightened them out but not major. I'm just wondering if this is bad or not? Will it allow water or dust in? Or if it's close, will it be alright? That for the insight! ------Jeremy

Are you talikng about just the outer lip? Just straighten to "close enough" so that the drum doesn't rub. Now if the whole backing plate is crooked so that the shoes are at an angle to the axle/drums, then you have a problem.

Yeah just the outer lip got bent pretty bad, almost like it was dropped. I got it pretty close so that the drum doesnt rub. I know it isnt exactly water tight but I didnt know how close of a seal it needed to be. Thnanks for the advice! -----Jeremy

Not supposed to be water tight. Back in the old days of 4 wheel no power assist drum brakes, when you went thru a deep water puddle, no brakes for a few seconds. Had to apply light pedal pressure to clean off the water. Quite a feeling if you really needed to stop.

Yeah I've been in trucks that have 4 wheel drums and have lost there breaks!!!:eek: Ok, I appreciate your info, I wont worry too much about it then. I would like to get 4 wheel discs soon but when I do that, I know Im going to have to pull the axles so I might as well go ahead and build the rear end up a little better!!! For right now, I just want to get rid of this peg legged rear end!!

Back