You can type here any text you want

Best bang for the buck rear disc brake setup?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eticket

OK, I'm thinking of a rear disc brake setup as an alternative to running c-clip eliminators.

what have you guys used and what's been easiest to install? not looking for any high dollar baer/wilwood/aerospace setups. Just something that will work just fine and not a whole lot of mods to install.

thanks in advance.

I don't understand you question. Are you looking for disc brake options for people with c clip eliminators?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

edited.. I am thinking of putting on rear discs instead of running the eliminators.

if you put on rear discs, the calipers will hold the discs and wheel and tire against the car just like the rear c-clip eliminator.

Actually better if the axle happens to shear at the end.

I have seen some posts on here about the 97-02 camaro rear brakes being used with adapters. lots of the brakes in the junk yard

looking for something in bolt on like kit form and what guys opinions are....

don't the baer's have issues with 15" wheels? I guess you don't have wheels that small to know. Thanks, but I just do not want to buy Baer's, Aerospace, or Wilwoods.

looking for something in bolt on like kit form and what guys opinions are....

The 4th gen F body set up is fairly cheap but it isn't exactly a bolt on. Take a look at FlyNbye and Ed has several that will bolt on without a lot of issues. He's got several options so you can pick and choose what you want to do.

As far as the cheapest, does your state require an inspection each year and the parking brake to work? If not yo can get weld on brackets that will take the same caliper as the front or the larger B body calipers, that weld on and use several different rotors. The brackets are around $10 each side and the calipers and pads can be bought cheap at any chain parts store.;)

If you put on rear discs, the calipers will hold the discs and wheel and tire against the car just like the rear c-clip eliminator.

Actually better if the axle happens to shear at the end. As quoted above.

I have heard and read this as well but if you are going to put it on a track I would check for the c clip requirements. I have heard the leaking stories, smallish bearings and side loading ( auto crossers ) problems of the c clip eliminators.

1998-2002 F-Body
I have all the parts, I haven't done the conversion yet but i have done a ton of reading on this and just about every thing i have read says that its a bolt on affair

if you put on rear discs, the calipers will hold the discs and wheel and tire against the car just like the rear c-clip eliminator...........

Your comment defies logic? :confused:

A c-clip axle has a little in-and-out movement by design, which means the rotor float will push on the pads so there will be slack in pad contact when applying brakes unless the calipers is made to float as well.

I doubt that any NHRA track will allow rear disk brake retention as a substitute for c-clip eliminators, and I have had an axle break at the flange and made an immediate left turn into the wall?

Yes, the car had rear disk brakes AND c-clip eliminators, and will never use them again on any car. :(

What does NHRA consider to be positive axle retention?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The aftermarket axle requirement also extends to installing a C-clip eliminator kit in any rearend that uses a C-clip to retain the rear axle, such as the GM 10- and 12-bolts and the Ford 8.8-inch rearends. While the current NHRA axle rule does not include an SFI spec for axles, experienced axle manufacturers such as Summers Brothers, Mark Williams, Strange and others offer axles intended for this kind of abuse. Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/nhra_legal_rules_regulations_time_brackets/#ixzz2m49iTBQb

Your comment defies logic? :confused:

A c-clip axle has a little in-and-out movement by design, which means the rotor float will push on the pads so there will be slack in pad contact when applying brakes unless the calipers is made to float as well.

I doubt that any NHRA track will allow rear disk brake retention as a substitute for c-clip eliminators, and I have had an axle break at the flange and made an immediate left turn into the wall?

Yes, the car had rear disk brakes AND c-clip eliminators, and will never use them again on any car. :(

Nick, is it because the force overpowered the bracketry holding on the rear brake caliper?

I'm resolved now to buying axles and eliminators and leaving the drums as is i guess.

Back