Best cam for 80% Street, 20% track?

SideSlip

Any suggestions.......my engine is out time for a new cam. I want something that rocks with your boot in it.......but still idles nice, and produces vacuum at idle for my brakes. Thanks, Randy.

the stock cam is plenty good for that kind of application, and no reliability issues. A cam upgrade only becomes effective with other mods (ported heads, bigger turbo, exhaust) that raise the power band beyond 5,000 rpm.

If you just have to change it, 206/206 works fine

what about the Poston's cams, like the 107? I haven't heard much about them, just curious how they stack up against a comp cam.

I'm using a Poston 107 cam, It works very well for me. I was concerned about emissions test and drivability, with a little added performance. I found two choices that would meet my requirements, the other cam I looked at was the Lunati cam. In CA, we have a NOx emissions are tested, and both the Lunati cam and Poston cam have a lobe center that more closely matches stock, with a little more duration and lift. One thing about emissions testing fro NOx, as the lobe center number gets bigger, than cylinder pressure increases, and so does the possiblity of NOx. I installed some reltively heavy valve springs with my combination, and was concerned about flattening my new cam, but I followed the breakin procedures and have not had a problem. My new engine has 16000 miles on it, and is running just fine. Gas mileage is around 19mpg. Personally, I like the Poston 107 cam. Just my 0.02

Go here, Look at Hank's cars and come back and tell us why you need a cam. Also look at the size of his turbos... :)

http://turbocars.tripod.com/

Hank, UNGN, TTA89, Grumpy, and many more go pretty darn well without any magic parts.

Wish the factory cam from GM was still available, b/c I tried to order one. Since it wasn't , I went with some thing close (at least that is what my GM parts guy told me).:(

I think the grind is basically available from suppliers like Sealed Power...on the other hand, anything close including the various Club cams should work very well.

Too many newcomers think they need a bigger cam to go faster when they have a good one in the engine to begin with. :)

A set of ported heads probably gives more bang for the more bucks...not bad if you can find them used.

What are the specs of the stock cam?

And this Comp Cams 206/206 - how much lift? Is that 206 duration at a certain lift?

What's a good roller cam that's a tad bigger than stock?

stock cam specs

lyonsd.....stocker @ .50 = duration of 193* intake/ 197* exhaust....., .388 intake & .410 = lift. Lobe seperation of 107* :)

Both 'the club 200/200' Lunati and the Poston 107 are good stock replacement cams.

HTH

I am using a Comp 218/218 .My car runs 12.40's and is driven daily 30 miles to work. It idles great and runs even better. This is MY opinion, but I am sure someone else will have a different one.

Originally posted by turbocharged87
I am using a Comp 218/218 .My car runs 12.40's and is driven daily 30 miles to work. It idles great and runs even better. This is MY opinion, but I am sure someone else will have a different one.

A perfect example of a 10 second combo running mid 12's on pump gas. Not that there is anything wrong with this :)

I had the 218 and wouldn't say it is my first choice for a true street car. Staying @ 212 and under works better for the street. The 210/205 I had worked well on the street with trips to the track and my friends 212/212 works well. Cams from what I have seen aren't the magic makers in these motors. You may get lucky and find the perfect one for your combo but stay conservative if it is 80/20. I picked up the 204/214 for my next try. I think PTE has a 210/210 which sounds like a good cam also. Guess what I am trying to say is don't depend on the cam to be the Superman in the combo.

I like my 210/210 billet roller but then again this is my first Buick, so what do I know:confused:
I would like to hear what a big street cam sounds like:D
A 224/224 sounds killer in a LS1:eek:

Originally posted by UNGN

A perfect example of a 10 second combo running mid 12's on pump gas. Not that there is anything wrong with this :)

WOW How did you know he had a 10 sec combo with only his cam listed?

Originally posted by quickt

WOW How did you know he had a 10 sec combo with only his cam listed?

Could be from his sig. :)

I am using a Comp 218/218 .My car runs 12.40's and is driven daily 30 miles to work. It idles great and runs even better.
This is MY opinion, but I am sure someone else will have a different one.

'87 GN, JE pistons, 218/218 Comp Cam, ported stock heads, ported intake, 009 injectors, TA-61, ATR 3" downpipe and
Deltagate, Art Carr trans. w/10" non-lockup convertor

Best ET 12.48 @ 109mph 1.9 60'

As far as a good roller cam that's a tad bigger than stock I would say a 206/206 billet roller, but like a couple have already mentioned the PTE 210/210 billet roller is probably the best choice cause from what I've heard once you go any bigger than that streetability will start to be compromised. Another good roller cam from what I've heard is the ATR 212/206 billet roller so IMO you can't go to wrong with any of the grinds I've mentioned cause these cars aren't N/A V8's and they don't need 224/224 roller cams to run into the 9's :) BTW, the Atomic Launch car on the home page of TB.com is Ricardo LaCosta's S2 Turbo-T that ran 9.50's @140+mph with an ATR 214/210 billet roller which seems to be a very popular grind for stock block cars now a days.

I don't know, but the Merkel buildup in GMHTP is using a 206. I believe that he said that it made the most torque on the dyno. He also said something like you can't hardly pick a bad cam because it really doesn't have that big of an impact on these cars. Ever notice that every cam thread seems to have advocates of everything from stock to 224s?

I would conclude that if you don't need one just use the stocker. But if you have to replace it anyway, the 206 might be a good street/strip choice.

I kind of like the idea of building for 10's to go 12's (maybe 11's). I'd like to feel that where ever I may go, I got a good chance of coming home too. That's why my car barely gets out of it's own way.

Tom