You can type here any text you want

Best Engine? Bang For Your Buck OR Rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rebuild OR Replace?

• Rebuild

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Replace

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

RayLight

Hello everyone, so i just joined well...a few minutes ago haha.

Well anyways i have what seems to be a stock 85 Regal. Now, it works,runs fine but the thing is, i want something a bit "better". Or am i better off rebuilding the v6 and getting more performance out of it?

What are some engines that i can fit on my regal?

Car cost me almost nothing so i have room for an engine or engine rebuilt and tran rebuild. Soo! What would you guys do!? :o

Small block Chevy. Most bang for your buck unless you have a big budget for a turbo v6. The small block Chevy will drop right in with just a swap of engine mounts on the frame.

Hello everyone, so i just joined well...a few minutes ago haha.

Well anyways i have what seems to be a stock 85 Regal. Now, it works,runs fine but the thing is, i want something a bit "better". Or am i better off rebuilding the v6 and getting more performance out of it?

What are some engines that i can fit on my regal?

Car cost me almost nothing so i have room for an engine or engine rebuilt and tran rebuild. Soo! What would you guys do!? :eek:
Is it a turbo or N/A v6? If you go with a V8 the newer "LS" chevy's are more bang for your buck. Check the LS forum here... http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forums/lsx-tech.182/

Wow much power do you want? Going sub 10's?

Is it a plain regal? Or TR?

Small block Chevy. Most bang for your buck unless you have a big budget for a turbo v6. The small block Chevy will drop right in with just a swap of engine mounts on the frame.

The small block Chevy is by far the best way to go for you from a budget point of view, and also the most simple and un-complicated choice!

For one advantage, it will bolt right up to your trans where a LS swap will not as that would also require a stand alone trans controller.

Simple will allow you to use a carb and distributor and get you away from the very complicated items if your 1985 Regal is a turbo which will require a long and frustrating learning curve, not to mention expensive?

If your car is a turbo, you will be in for a long journey of frustration and expensive, and if it is a non-turbo V-6, you will NOT want to try and make it even a mild performance build.

If it's an n/a regal, the easiest v8 swap would be a 350 BUICK. Damn near a bolt in and go. Dont' even have to swap the mounts, just use all the v6 stuff. You can even use all the accessories. It will bolt right to your trans too. You can build your cooling setup out of stuff from the junkyard no problem.

Well its a plain 85 regal 2 door. non turbo D;
Then do whatever. Just like any Monte Carlo or generic G-body. Order a crate motor from Justanyone Performance and drop it in like all the masses do. It's a cookie cutter set-up. There must be a thousand alone in my area. Every car show I go to has at least 3.:bored:

Throw a mouse motor (sbc) at it and go have some fun.
Then when time and funds allow, build up something more interesting on the engine stand. Swap em out when you get board with the small block.

Throw a mouse motor (sbc) at it and go have some fun.
Then when time and funds allow, build up something more interesting on the engine stand. Swap em out when you get board with the small block.

So what do you think is the best small block for the price?

I just did a Big block 454 in a 55 chevy. Cant beat the sound. More modding, but well worth it.

So what do you think is the best small block for the price?

The one that you can find a deal on. ;) You just need to look around.
Best to find something running in the car. That way you can check it out. If it's got a nice set of heads on it, that would be preferred.
There's an old saying. "If the heads don't flow, the car wont go"! :D

What's your budget for an engine upgrade?
How fast would you like it to go?

"If the heads don't flow said:
Revision: "If the heads don't flow, the car wont go. Unless you got a turbo to blow". :D

The one that you can find a deal on. ;) You just need to look around.
Best to find something running in the car. That way you can check it out. If it's got a nice set of heads on it, that would be preferred.
There's an old saying. "If the heads don't flow, the car wont go"! :D

What's your budget for an engine upgrade?
How fast would you like it to go?

Well atm i have around 1800 id like to spend is like 2400ish on engine. i dont wanna be slow or like extreme track fast uk! Something in the middle would be great, a good sounding engine :3

455 sounds good too
IMG_20150918_193423576.jpg

This is from LS1 tech.com FYI

1. the gm gen1,2 trans will bolt to the gen3 engines but you only use 5 bolts, the gen 3 engines do not use the middle bellhousing bolt on the pass side( no big deal)

2. you do not need a special flexplate, the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1- just need the t/c bolt holes ovaled out a bit and the 5.3 flex plates have a set of holes that match the small gm t/c bolt pattern perfect

- the 6.0 flat flex plate has the same t/c holes as the large gm pattern(th400 and most aftermarket th350converters that have a dual t/c bolt pattern on them)

3. you need to use a crankshaft spacer when using a gen1,2 trans and converter there are 2 types:

- hughes gen3 crankshaft spacer part # hup-3795 $44 from summit/jegs, this spacer must be used with the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1 flexplates

- gm stock 6.0 crankshaft spacer 12563532 and longer bolts 12563533, this spacer can be used with either the flat or curved flexplate ( if using the curved style flexplate the flexplate goes on the crank first then the spacer goes on then the bolts, if using the flat 6.0 flexplate the spacer goes on the crankshaft first then the flexplate then the bolts)

i have used both style spacers, on several 5.3,LS1, 6.0 swaps and have not had any problems with either set up

Get a GM re-manufactured one from Jeg's or Summit or something. It even comes with a warranty.
Well atm i have around 1800 id like to spend is like 2400ish on engine. i dont wanna be slow or like extreme track fast uk! Something in the middle would be great, a good sounding engine :3
Get a GM re-manufactured one from Jeg's or Summit or something. It even comes with a warranty.

Back