Best octane boost?

NY87GN

Just looking for some feedback, what have you been using for octane boost? Im using Amsoil....

Alky or race gas. Additives seldom work. Torco used to make a no lead additive that worked ok but it'd turn the insides of your combustion chambers, plugs, and exhaust orange.

The consensus you're going to get is additives is a waste of money and are not effective in sufficiently raising octane. I've also read that Torco Accelerator has been used by some with some success but don't have first hand knowledge of this. E85, alky, or race gas is what most here successfully run to raise octane.

2 gallons of toluene ( jet fuel) in a full tank... can get it cheap at most if not all hardware stores.. go to gnttype.org for more info

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Keep in mind when the snake oil octane booster salesmen brag about raising your octaine by 'points'... a 'point' is 1/10th of an octane.

So '4 points' is said to bump 93 to 93.4. Whoo hoo!!!

If you just absolutely have to spend money to have just smidge more than 93 do like boostmeup said and dump some paint thinner in the tank.

Change the fuel filter after you try it. Any sludge that's accumulated in your tank will get cleaned out and safely stored in your fuel filter.

Kerosene is jet fuel correct... and is used in a diesel application.. not good for gasoline engines

Also kerosene is a low octane fuel where as toluene is a high octane fuel... either way better of running alky or e85 conversion.. won't see a big jump with boosters

The consensus you're going to get is additives is a waste of money and are not effective in sufficiently raising octane. I've also read that Torco Accelerator has been used by some with some success but don't have first hand knowledge of this. E85, alky, or race gas is what most here successfully run to raise octane.

Just to clarify my own post, I didn't mean to imply that Alky will raise octane. That statement was made as a generalization of what most do in order to run higher boost but it doesn't read that way. Thank you to bison for pointing this discrepancy out...in the wrong thread :D

I've used two with good success put 5 gallons toluene in a empty tank and top it off with 93 ! When I ran the car on the street as a daily driver this is what I used 20# boost all day long no knock
Also did the same exact ratio with xylene same results! I will say alky has taken this option and thrown it out the window so it isn't the best option anymore

I've used two with good success put 5 gallons toluene in a empty tank and top it off with 93 ! When I ran the car on the street as a daily driver this is what I used 20# boost all day long no knock
Also did the same exact ratio with xylene same results! I will say alky has taken this option and thrown it out the window so it isn't the best option anymore

I agree

Toluene does help and work in helping reduce detonation but yes alky is much better option

I ran xylene mix for a season with a 100 octane chip. Ran great, just got tired of mixing.

I ran xylene mix for a season with a 100 octane chip. Ran great, just got tired of mixing.
Very true. Having to mix fuel all the time does indeed get old fast. And the ratios are never exact and introduce variables in your fueling..

Just bi a 45 gallon drum of mark 14 race fuel unleaded and your good to go with out killing your 02 sensor, Then turn the wick up.

and fwiw...my best friends mom and dad where both chemical engineers at Dupont Labs...we where testing some toluene in a racebike we built back then...i recall them saying,when asked about it, that toluene caused cancer in lab rats almost overnite...(slight exageration) and was a very nasty chemical.

Think of it this way, buy a pack of Virginia slims, smoke one, = additive, then buy a pack of non-filter camels, smoke one = alky.