You can type here any text you want

Best place to get vacuum for the brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sams86gn

Just converted my power master brakes to vacuum brakes off an 87 regal. Is there a place on the intake that most of you use for vacuum or do they make a distribution block to run it off one of the other vacuum lines? Sorry if this is a dumb question

For the hundred+ or so GN vac conversions I have done, installing a tee fitting into the PCV line has worked well! :)

When i first did my vacuum brake conversion i used a "T" fitting off the pcv hose / tube. My brakes wouldn't work very well setup like that. It was an vacuum related problem because the only thing i did was, this below.

I bought the vacuum block with the extra port for the brake booster hose connection and the brakes have worked flawlessly ever since and that has been many years ago. Not saying you will have the same problem but this was from what i understand the way the 89 turbo T/A was setup for the vacuum brakes.

Here is a link for the vacuum block with the extra port if you need one.

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pr...A+VACUUM+FITTING+FOR+VACUUM+BRAKES+#6797.html

When i first did my vacuum brake conversion i used a "T" fitting off the pcv hose / tube. My brakes wouldn't work very well setup like that. It was an vacuum related problem because the only thing i did was, this below.............

There must have been some other issue because the port on the TTA vac block and the PCV port share the same vacuum source? :confused:

There must have been some other issue because the port on the TTA vac block and the PCV port share the same vacuum source? :confused:

But there wasn't. Because like i already said, the only thing i changed was the vacuum block with the added port for the brake booster hose for the vacuum source at the top of the throttle body vice the vacuum source coming off the pcv hose.

The brakes have been working great ever since and it has been many years with trouble free use.If anyone has a vacuum problem with their conversion this might be something to consider.

Thanks for all of your input. I will try the T fitting on the PCV when I get a chance and report back. Thanks again

The billet aluminum vacuum block works and looks much better.
Then you have a nice clean, 1 to 1 connection and a beefy szed port to plumb to.
Check out the pictures of the vacuum brake ported block from bweavy, Metco, Kirban's et al.
If you haven't already replaced your orignal plastic vacuum block, this would be a good time to do it and kill two birds with one stone, since the stock unit distorts over time and causes all sorts of nuisances.

BoyWonder said:
The billet aluminum vacuum block works and looks much better.
Then you have a nice clean, 1 to 1 connection and a beefy szed port to plumb to.
Check out the pictures of the vacuum brake ported block from bweavy, Metco, Kirban's et al.
If you haven't already replaced your orignal plastic vacuum block, this would be a good time to do it and kill two birds with one stone, since the stock unit distorts over time and causes all sorts of nuisances.

I do still have the factory vacuum block so I will go ahead and order one of those billet ones tonight. Thanks!

vacblockfinished-004-jpg.165214

I drilled and tapped the side of my plenum when I put one of our vacuum blocks on. ran the hose under the coil pack.

Love that setup.
Of course, I love shiny things. ;-)
But quite functional as well.

Might be asking alot of the average hobbyist or enthusiast to remove the doghouse, drill, tap for N.P.T. - re-install, find the fittings, hoses, etc - but I have no argument with the superiority of the location and the flexibility of a threaded port of that size.

My problem is that I start out "only" doing this or that thing, remove one piece, then start figuring - "well, it's a good time to do this or that while I have this or that removed" and my Buick(s) will sit up for days or weeks while I do it right and I miss the opportunity to enjoy them sometimes.
The idea of a quick bolt-on piece without creating alot of downtime is stil lthe appealing apsect to the block.

I'm going to do my conversion today also. What "DOT" brake fluid is everybody using?

I use DOT 3 and it's always worked good here in the midwest. It's available just about everywhere and cheap.

Thanks guys. I actually picked up DOT3 only because I didn't see the DOT4 at the parts house.

Back