Best Street Tire

donZ

what do you think, the best size and brand,
stock rims, on the rear NO D.R.
For street driving, only

I think BFG is the best tire and I am running 275-50-15 on 15X8 Center line rims with 4 inch backspace and a 5/16 inch spacer. I would say 275-60-15 should fit on a stock T-type rim and still fit under the car. You'll be cutting it real close on stock GN rims with 275-60-15 because the backspacing is 4 inches.

TIRES

I would have to disagree with the you on the BFGs. i had some and they wouldnt hook to save your life. they also dont wear very even. I bought a set of firestone ss20's(now called indy 500's) and i have to say they have been the best tire i have found short of a DR for 15 in rims. but you have to remember it is still a street tire and was made to last. i ould go with 235/60/15 all the way around so you can rotate them and they will last even longer. just my .02 worth. good luck. jeremy walters

My car was very scary with BFGs. I gave up and went to nittos, and they still break loose at around 20mph and again at around 50mph. They are much better than any street tire. I wont drive my gn without at least a DR on it. Too scary. I've had mine on my gn for over 2 years now.

Yokohama. 235/60 15 or 225/60 15. They are hard to find and they are discontinued most of the time. They do come V rated. I actually have a set of Z rated ones I picked up from TireRack.com on closeout. They are awesome. They blow the doors off the SS20's. I know cuz I had SS20's before I became enlightened.

Michelin Pilot 235/50/15 are a very good tire and handle well on the front of my car.

I'd try them on all 4 wheels but I am hooked on the Nitto Drag Radials in the back. :)

Good combo. for me. :cool:

Firestone Firehawk SZ50

255/50/16 rear
225/50/16 front

Great all around tire and exellent in the rain.

tires

i have some bridgestone SO-3 pole position tires on my 240z and i have to say that is the baddest tire i have ever driven on as far as cornering. its hard to beat a dr when it comes to hooking up. i have found different ss20's hook better than others. my 235/60s hooked 10 times better than my 255/60's. wierd. oh well.

The 275-50-15 will not rub if you have a wheel with a 3 and half inch backspace and a 15X8 rim. On a Stock GN rim they definitely rub. Stock T rims are not wide enough IMO. The bulge of the side wall on the stock T rim may cause the tire to rub especially around corners.

Was looking on tirerack and saw Pirelli P600 (235/60R15). Has any one ever used these? If so, what do you think? How do they hook and how long of life do they have?

Thanks,
Jason

Why no DR? The nitto DR's have EXCELENT street manners and last a long time. I have over 6K street miles and 40 passes on them and they still have a ton of tread. They are also great in the rain.

Other than that, I had good luck with Bridgestone Potenzas (stock size)

I am on my second set of Nitto's, maybe 20k miles, without any issues.

No problem in the rain, I'm not that stupid, and I drive on the freeway with them.

I don't know what's THE BEST street tire, but I'm very happy with my BFG Comp TA radials - 295/50/15.

I know several people that have also run the same tire in a 275/50 on a stock GN wheel. They seemed to like them too.

1.7x 60 foot times are possible with these tires. I've gone as low as a 1.72 on my old combo.

-Banning.

Which COMP T/A are you using?

BF Goodrich
Comp T/A HR4
The new generation of H-rated performance

BF Goodrich
Comp T/A HR4
This is the second-generation design of a long-time favorite high performance tire. Engineered to deliver more control, this new HR4 inspires more confident all-weather traction and handling plus extended treadlife and low noise

BF Goodrich
Comp T/A VR4
BFG's ultimate V-rated all-season high performance tire

BF Goodrich
Comp T/A VR4
This is BFGoodrich's ultimate V-speed rated all-season high performance tire. Utilizing "Traction/Advantage" design features, this tire delivers this control you expect year round while offering one of the industry's highest treadwear ratings.

BF Goodrich
Drag Radial Comp T/A
Maximum straight-line traction on strip or street
BF Goodrich

Drag Radial Comp T/A
At last, drag racing radials that are street-legal! BFG is the pioneer here and you have a very wide range of sizes to choose from. Originally developed for competition in the Stock ET class, the tire's dual street/strip usability make it an attractive alternative for budget oriented racers in all classes.

dunno about the best, but i say..

bfg radial t/a's i dont care what size are the ABSOLUTE WORST TIRE EVER.

i dont care how many people have them..

i had a set of those on my car.. 235/60/15's all around my car was SCARY in the rain..

upgraded to a set of old low tread michelin pilot XGT's 225/55/16 on GTA wheels, and a set of continental 245/50/16s... the continentals had just enough tread to tell they werent slicks.. maybe 1mm tread depth if anything and they were better in the rain that my bfgs were BRAND NEW.

i hear the comp ta's are good though

i now have kumho ECSTA Supra 712 225/50/16s up front and 255/50/16s out back.. they hook alright, although they are a bit noisy under hard cornering / when they spin.. also they are GREAT in the rain..

I have BFG 'G Force KDW in 285s on 17 in. wheels on the rear and so far ( only got to drive the car for a month before I had to put it away for winter ) I haven't been able to break them loose, only ran 92 octane gas so far.:)
Tarey D.

Originally posted by bob86gn
Firestone Firehawk SZ50

255/50/16 rear
225/50/16 front

Great all around tire and exellent in the rain.

I have to agree ,SZ 50 are top of the line tire ,made by Bridgestone They are Firestones version of the SO-3.
A high end ultra high perf rain tire ,long wearing to

I have tried DR radial , Et streets , M&H racematers , Sportsman pro's

I have come to the conclusuion :
You need real street tires for the street and Drag slicks for the track

I run 295/50R15 Yokohama Avid T4 with 1/4" spacers on the back, 235/60's on the front, best I've ever had. 1.80's on a good track easy. Eagles and Radial TA's suck all around, and Drag Radials are ridiculous money here in Canada.

i think the best tires IMO for the street that are guaranteed not to rub with factory rims are BFG Radial T/A 255/50/15's

with my current GNX rims (16") i run BFG Radial T/A 265/50/16's in the back...wide as hell plus i have had these tires up to 135 mph before and the ride was smoother than crap...only i was scared to death going that fast and let off...

:D