You can type here any text you want

Best way to clean heads and deck for new head gaskets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOP4ever

I worked on the deck with a razor blade this eving and got most of the old gasket off, but I can still see the outline and if I keep scraping I still get a little power like from a pencil lead form the deck...
Whats the best way to get things ready for the new gaskets ?
Also with studs what is the best sealer... I've searched and I am more confused than I was before I looked it seems everyone uses somethingn different ???? The stuff on the stock head bolts reminded me of a teflon paste like I have used on pipe fittings.

Thanks

A scraper works best. Do NOT use a scotch brite pad, as it'll send debris through the engine. I CRINGE everytime I see guys at a dealership do that. It is SOOOOO common to see guys do that. I wanna SMACK 'em up side their head when I see that. Factory sealer is still available from the dealer. I use Permatex teflon thread sealer. Other guys don't like it. I've never had an issue with it. Make sure you clean the studs with solvent (brake clean, or starting fluid) before you apply sealant. I'm pretty sure that the guys that have leakage didn't clean the pickling oil off the threads before they installed 'em. Silicone works fine, too.

I'll add that you are probably trying to make it cleaner than new. After scraping (with your razor blade) wipe the surface with a lint free rag and laquer thinner or brake clean.

Use green scotchbrite pads on the block and heads. I use carb cleaner with them. Wipe down with white cloths and alcohol as a last step. Some people use ultra black gasket sealer on studs, I used liquid teflon paste on mine with great results.

Bryan

Wipe down the deck and heads with acetone or Electric motor cleaner as it does not leave a residue.e

Use green scotchbrite pads on the block and heads. I use carb cleaner with them. Wipe down with white cloths and alcohol as a last step. Some people use ultra black gasket sealer on studs, I used liquid teflon paste on mine with great results.

Bryan
Huh?? Post #3 has the right idea... Scotchbrite has abrasives in it. Unless the engine is going into the hot tank, I'd suggest you take Ken's advice.
Studs get Permatex #2, here.

Some basic gasket questions.
I ordered the cork pan gasket and my local buick guy said to put right stuff on the pan lay the gasket on that let it set I forget but I think overnight.
What about the timing cover and valve covers should I do the same or is this needed to seal it up.

Back