You can type here any text you want

best way to run consistent in the 1/4

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
what is the best way to Launch to keep consistent ets. do you worry more about leaving at the same boost all the time or rpms

Transbrake will give you consistant launches.

without a two step or a boost limiter the only way to be consistenst is if you watch the boost gauge or watch a tach or develop a feel for it or dont build anything and drop the accelerator when the light goes green (well a little before then) , you probably wont set any et records but youll be consistent

so why do you need a transbrake to do that if your brakes hold or your not trying to build a whole lotta boost (or none) ?

tbrake will allow you to hold more and possible cut a quicker 60'... but he didn't ask about faster he asked about consistent , you can be consistent leaving at 0psi

if your tires are spinning work on the suspension , better tires , air pressure (in tires or airbags if you got them), or leave with less boost

if boost is creeping fix it

dont try for a killer 60 if there's a chance your tires will roll before you're ready to go or so much that the tires will spin as soon as you leave
save the bonzia 60s for test and tune when you want to impress your friends.

you can run less boost ya know and dial back the time on your window, its not heads up race to the finish line.. its a race to the time you write on the window

stage the same position at the beams each time
leave at the same boost
you still need to catch the lights good so focus on the tree and cut a good RT
shift at same time (or let the trans do it )
run same boost every pass
and if everything on the car stays together it should be consistent keeping in mind temps can change during a day at the track so you need to adjust a little

on my footbrake car (the87) i know that the point where i start to lift the fender is at the point of my converter stall 2750 and 0psi , so thats my build point no gauges no chance of rolling , have an electronic controller (msbc-1) for launch and boost but havent used the launch feature yet but it works great at boost control with an external gate DP, leave it in D and go

my 86 i have been using same electronic boost control (msbc-1) for launch and run with a tbrake so i could hold the boost i needed to leave hard , 60' have be within hundreths each time
used to run a two step(MSD dis4) that cuts the ignition back to hold an rpm they had troubles with wastespark ign random cutout and stock type chips , if you have fast they work fine . when i could get a clean leave it was consistent but there were times if i stayed on the two step too long the car would drop rpm during the stutter and 60 would fall from expected
using an indash tach (gnx sytle gauges ) for shift points since i shoot for 5800 shifts , and a shift lite

without a two step or a boost limiter the only way to be consistenst is if you watch the boost gauge or watch a tach or develop a feel for it or dont build anything and drop the accelerator when the light goes green (well a little before then) , you probably wont set any et records but youll be consistent

I see your point, you have to know the limits of your setup. In that case for a consistant launch do everything the same way everytime. You could be consistantly fast or consistanly slow. When "I" think consistant "I" think about getting the most out of my car everytime it goes to the line. You are right about holding boost with the brake, but I cant get mine to go over 0psi without pushing threw the brakes. I guess what i'm trying to get at is, it would be easier to hit a button rather than stand on the brakes and gas to get a consistant time.

The ONLY real way to run consistant E.T.'s is to make HUNDREDS of passes in the same car, doing exactly the same thing. One real good way to learn to do it is to run a street tire car for about 200 passes and learn to feel the car loose traction. Then step up to slicks, and it all falls into place. You MUST be able to "feel" the car, or you'll never be real good at it. It'll still be fun, but real hard to win.

For serious racing at the track, you will need a 2-step, a staged boost controller, great traction and a few other items.:biggrin:

With all that in place, about 200 passes will get you started.:smile:

Of course may take much longer to get your reaction time down if you are wanting to use both a full tree and a pro light.:cool:

so why do you need a transbrake to do that if your brakes hold or your not trying to build a whole lotta boost (or none) ?

tbrake will allow you to hold more and possible cut a quicker 60'... but he didn't ask about faster he asked about consistent , you can be consistent leaving at 0psi

if your tires are spinning work on the suspension , better tires , air pressure (in tires or airbags if you got them), or leave with less boost

if boost is creeping fix it

dont try for a killer 60 if there's a chance your tires will roll before you're ready to go or so much that the tires will spin as soon as you leave
save the bonzia 60s for test and tune when you want to impress your friends.

you can run less boost ya know and dial back the time on your window, its not heads up race to the finish line.. its a race to the time you write on the window

stage the same position at the beams each time
leave at the same boost
you still need to catch the lights good so focus on the tree and cut a good RT
shift at same time (or let the trans do it )
run same boost every pass
and if everything on the car stays together it should be consistent keeping in mind temps can change during a day at the track so you need to adjust a little

on my footbrake car (the87) i know that the point where i start to lift the fender is at the point of my converter stall 2750 and 0psi , so thats my build point no gauges no chance of rolling , have an electronic controller (msbc-1) for launch and boost but havent used the launch feature yet but it works great at boost control with an external gate DP, leave it in D and go

my 86 i have been using same electronic boost control (msbc-1) for launch and run with a tbrake so i could hold the boost i needed to leave hard , 60' have be within hundreths each time
used to run a two step(MSD dis4) that cuts the ignition back to hold an rpm they had troubles with wastespark ign random cutout and stock type chips , if you have fast they work fine . when i could get a clean leave it was consistent but there were times if i stayed on the two step too long the car would drop rpm during the stutter and 60 would fall from expected
using an indash tach (gnx sytle gauges ) for shift points since i shoot for 5800 shifts , and a shift lite

Good advice! :)

the one time i took my T to the track, i made about 10 passes on on a "street" night at a 1/8th mile track. they were all within a couple of thousandths and 1mph of each other.. my reaction times were all within a couple thousandths, as well, with one of them being a .001 light.
this was leaving with however much boost and at whatever rpm it would hold before the rear brakes would give- a few pounds of boost at about 2000 rpm.
when i get that trans rebuilt, i'm gonna go do some actual bracket racing.

You've got to take your legs out of the equation.
Stage.
Set transbrake.
Go WOT.
Concentrate on the tree.
Release transbrake button

Getting your thumb to react consistantly is much easier than getting those clumsy legs to.

Have all the controls in place to control staging rpm and boost level. You'll need to play with different staging/launching rpms and boost levels to find what the car likes that will keep you consistant. That stuff is easy. The important thing is to limit the human variable.

Eyeballs on tree.
Thumb on button.

Sure some lucky people can be consistant with their legs in the picture, but those are very few. And when you visit a track where there are a lot of very consistant cars, you'd better be tuned up (in terms of the driver).

Don is "right on" with his comments!:biggrin:

It is one thing to go out and play on a street night and get good numbers, but with a competitor in the lane next to you it becomes a different story.:rolleyes:

Most racers love to "mess" with turbo cars. They play games with you on the tree trying to burn you down, or get in quick before you are ready. One of their other favorites is to deep stage if allowed.

Wish I did as well in competition as I do in qualifying!:cool:

race

I dont see where you guys want consistant et's while test and tuneing. If your changing stuff you wont have them. Also if you racing on a reg race night aroung here you cant use trans brakes in the foot brake class, and pro will get that rearend haded to you because they are using delay boxes.

I dont see where you guys want consistant et's while test and tuneing. If your changing stuff you wont have them. Also if you racing on a reg race night aroung here you cant use trans brakes in the foot brake class, and pro will get that rearend haded to you because they are using delay boxes.

It's always a good idea to practice your launch as if you were in the finals. That way, when you've settled on your car's tune, the driver is also tuned.

So use a delay box. They're a great invention.

Back