You can type here any text you want

Best Wire Kit on the market

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i agree the stuff on the market today. is all sleeve and no wire... use welding wire best out there

If you go to a GOOD (key word) autoparts store you can get thick wire thats used for welding equipment. It doesnt have the flash of the name brands but cost a fraction of the price. You can get 4 gauge wire for a fairly decent price.

I agree, seems like the wire is getting more expensive, all while the insulation is just getting thicker! lol

zero guage is all you need, you first need to do a BIG THREE UP GRADE UNDER HOOD, AND YOU BOYS DONT LIKE CHANGING THINGS UNDER THE HOOD, START BY ZERO GUAGE FROM ALTERNATOR BACK TO BATTERY MORE JUICE YOU RETURN MORE GOES OUT, THEN ZERO FROM BATTERY BACK OVER TO THE INTAKE, YOUR BASIC GROUND WHICH ON STOCK CARS IS LIKE 8 GUAGE, SAME PRICIPAL AS POWER WIRE, AND THEN UP GRADE THE GROUND TO CHASIS WIRE WITH ZERO GUAGE, DO HOMEWORK THIS IS CALLED THE BIG THREE UP GRADE, WILL MINIMIZE YOUR LIGHT DIME PROBLEMS AND HELP SAVE AN ALTERNATOR OR TWO, AND OF COURSE YOUR ZERO GUAGE FROM BATTERY TO YOUR DISTRIBUTION BLOCK IN MY CASE ITS DIGITAL DUAL IN ZERO IN AND 4 FOUR GAUGE OUT, PRINCIPAL IS ZERO BACK AS CLOSE TO AMPS AS POSSIBLE AND OUT OF DISTRIBUTION BLOCK FOUR GAGE NO LONGER THEN 3 OR 4 FOOT IF SET UP PROPERLY AND THEN I OVER KILL CAUSE I HAVE THREE 12W7 JL AUDIO I USE 8 GUAGE OUT OF AMPS INTO SUBS. 18 GUAGE ON COMPONENTS IS MORE THEN FINE AND EASLY CONCEALED. IF YOU FOLLOW THOSE BASIC TIPS THEY ARE EXSPENSIVE TIPS BUT SO IS YOUR CAR BURNING DOWN TO THE GROUND AND DONT FORGET THE INLINE FUSE WITHING 3 FOOT OF BATTERY AND MY DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION BLOCK HAS ONE FUSE FOR EACH OUTLET. AGAIN OVER KILL BUT ISNT THAT WHAT WERE DOING TO THESE CARS ANY HOW, NOW THIS IS ONLY NECESSARY IF YOUR INTO THE 2,000 WATT OR MORE CATAGORY WHICH MOST OF YOU GUYS ARENT THERE CAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT LIGHTING THE CAR UP FOR SPEED NOT WEIGHING IT DOWN WITH BEET BUT THATS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT IT IF OUR A SERIOUS CAR STEREO MANIC, THEN A SEPERATE POWER GROUND FUSE BLOCK RAN TO REAR FOR YOUR IN CAR NEON AND IN CAR MONITORS I HAVE IN DASH DVD AND 7 7 INCH MONITORS AND ONE 7 INCH FLIP DOWN IN TOTAL THREE 1000/1V2 JL AUDIO AMPS THREE 12W7 SUBS TWO SETS OF DIAMOND AUDIO COMPONENTS AND ONE ART SERIES PRECISION POWER A600.2 FOR MY MIDS AND HIGHS,

Weld wire is for welding not stereo's call and ask your local car stereo shop of that thought of using weld wire and they may gigle at ya, not being an a** but seriously use the correct wire for the job, you will be happier in the end, i cant imagine looking into somones custom grand national and seeing anywhere in the system weld wire, i just cant get my eyes around that concept. But to each his own if your on a budget..

Enlighten Us

Is it that the welding cable is multi fine strand or something else about it that makes it not conducive for audio apps?

zero guage wire is fine stranded and made up of hundred of fine strands of wire, i do beleive im correct matter fact im certain of it, but it truly is to each his own, your welcome to install anything you like in your system, fact is that weld wire is incorrect for the installation of amplifiers in cars, hence the name. WELD WIRE otherwise it might be called or sold under amp installation kits. wouldnt ya think

hmmm...now this is just a thought

25 yrs exp ask me bro my 02

zero guage is all you need, you first need to do a BIG THREE UP GRADE UNDER HOOD, AND YOU BOYS DONT LIKE CHANGING THINGS UNDER THE HOOD, START BY ZERO GUAGE FROM ALTERNATOR BACK TO BATTERY MORE JUICE YOU RETURN MORE GOES OUT, THEN ZERO FROM BATTERY BACK OVER TO THE INTAKE, YOUR BASIC GROUND WHICH ON STOCK CARS IS LIKE 8 GUAGE, SAME PRICIPAL AS POWER WIRE, AND THEN UP GRADE THE GROUND TO CHASIS WIRE WITH ZERO GUAGE, DO HOMEWORK THIS IS CALLED THE BIG THREE UP GRADE, WILL MINIMIZE YOUR LIGHT DIME PROBLEMS AND HELP SAVE AN ALTERNATOR OR TWO, AND OF COURSE YOUR ZERO GUAGE FROM BATTERY TO YOUR DISTRIBUTION BLOCK IN MY CASE ITS DIGITAL DUAL IN ZERO IN AND 4 FOUR GAUGE OUT, PRINCIPAL IS ZERO BACK AS CLOSE TO AMPS AS POSSIBLE AND OUT OF DISTRIBUTION BLOCK FOUR GAGE NO LONGER THEN 3 OR 4 FOOT IF SET UP PROPERLY AND THEN I OVER KILL CAUSE I HAVE THREE 12W7 JL AUDIO I USE 8 GUAGE OUT OF AMPS INTO SUBS. 18 GUAGE ON COMPONENTS IS MORE THEN FINE AND EASLY CONCEALED. IF YOU FOLLOW THOSE BASIC TIPS THEY ARE EXSPENSIVE TIPS BUT SO IS YOUR CAR BURNING DOWN TO THE GROUND AND DONT FORGET THE INLINE FUSE WITHING 3 FOOT OF BATTERY AND MY DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION BLOCK HAS ONE FUSE FOR EACH OUTLET. AGAIN OVER KILL BUT ISNT THAT WHAT WERE DOING TO THESE CARS ANY HOW, NOW THIS IS ONLY NECESSARY IF YOUR INTO THE 2,000 WATT OR MORE CATAGORY WHICH MOST OF YOU GUYS ARENT THERE CAUSE YOU ARE ABOUT LIGHTING THE CAR UP FOR SPEED NOT WEIGHING IT DOWN WITH BEET BUT THATS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT IT IF OUR A SERIOUS CAR STEREO MANIC, THEN A SEPERATE POWER GROUND FUSE BLOCK RAN TO REAR FOR YOUR IN CAR NEON AND IN CAR MONITORS I HAVE IN DASH DVD AND 7 7 INCH MONITORS AND ONE 7 INCH FLIP DOWN IN TOTAL THREE 1000/1V2 JL AUDIO AMPS THREE 12W7 SUBS TWO SETS OF DIAMOND AUDIO COMPONENTS AND ONE ART SERIES PRECISION POWER A600.2 FOR MY MIDS AND HIGHS,

let me break this down for you as some of the advice you got is flawed in my opinion. but that's just my 02 not knocking some of you guys just wanted to let you know where your wrong or maybe tweak what your thoughts are on this. not trying to offend anyone so please no pissing match needed. if you want to match skills then show me some credentials. what school you went to and how long you've been installing. me, 40 yrs old, installing since i was 15, hangaround at a local audio shop and learned asking ?'s and went from there. and chapparal i'm not picking on you i just want to add to what you said and correct a few things.

amp kits are plentyful in brand, don't go to a retail shop, a local flea market has several people who'll have an amp kit go with 0 gauge or odd gauge. you can use middle of the road name brand and should be under 100 easily. connect your power directly to your battery, use the split loom under the hood so the heat doesn't kill your wire blowing anything from your computer to all car audio equip. please zip tie it and use your egg shaped fuse holder under the hood, don't connect any wire to your altenator to your battery, it'll only give you feedback to your amp. it'll sound like your engine is coming through your speakers, like that'll add some horses to your car. leave that alone. now powering your amp you can add a high output altenator but it's up to you. another way around this is a capacitor. this is an external battery that you trunk mount by your amp and fused distribution block and ground distribution block. this will keep your amp from asking for power that isn't there, hard to deliver all that power from the front to the back of the car. this will kill your speakers with distortion. i don't care if you have 2000 watt speakers you'll have a 2000 watt paperweight if you don't use one on a system this big and yes you will kill batteries and alternators if you don't use one and capacitors are only 100 so well worth it TRUST ME ON THIS. consider it a clogged fuel line while your running your car hard, it'll stall and that's what your amp will do. A cap will keep this from happening.

now fuses 60 amp AGU by the battery under the hood, and start with a 30 amp and if it goes out use a 50 in the trunk distribution block. I doubt you'll blow a 30 amp agu fuse by your amp but you never know the power block needs to be fused and you can buy 2-4 output fused blocks. now if your installing this please make sure you use all the crimp fittings and these are monsters that you'll need to use a hammer to bite on your wires. strip back 2 inches and secure them. ground wire needs to be the same size as your power to and from amp, cap, and so on. you can run 4 gauge if your amp has a big enough receptical to accept it. i'm sure it does as memphis is a great brand. distribution blocks and i said 2, one for power one for ground also need to be mounted in trunk after the cap and before the amps. chaparal is correct but i'd keep my ground to about 1.5 ft, the shorter the better but leave yourself some room to be able to zip tie all the wires together it just makes the install look better.

almost done, when your grounding your amp sand down the area your going to ground to, drill the hole through and use a nut blot and a few washers and locking washers. sand down to bare metal where the ground goes both sides if possible. i know i went well into the install but this is what i would do and do it once and your good for awhile. another thing you may want to do is secure your box with some heavy duty L brackets that'll keep it in it's place.

look guys it's pretty easy to do all this and i've see everything from welding wires to just about anything you can think of even a coaxial cable for power. i couldn't believe my eyes. seen burned carpets where the power wire was grounded out because some genius drilled through his hot power wire and it instantly got so hot the coating melted off the wire and started a small fire. this can engulf your car quickly and you don't need one of those huge 100 watt fuses that looks like compressed chewing tobacco. you won't blow them but you can burn your car down to a shell.

hope this helps and anyone with simular experiance of have any other ?'s is more then welcome to ask, i know this stuff and can usually do an install like this within 2-3 hours tops. just take your time if your installing it yourself, don't take any shortcuts and don't use pieces of wire and tape them up or anything. when you pull the wire through your firewall make sure you don't strip it down when pulling it through, unless you want to buy another one. i'd make a amp rack outta some MDF wood or something simular and carpet it, but a couple of cheap port hole so you can hide your wire and it'll look great. have patience and use a 12 volt test light to make sure you have power and don't connect your battery or remote wire until your nearly finished. always use crimp ends and give them a slight tug to make sure you dont have a loose wire.

my question for you is what ohm speaker are you using and what ohm load are you shooting for? the lower the ohm the more power your putting out but it'll also give you less amp time if your running a 1 ohm load or 1/2 ohm load. this can cause your amp to give out if you run it hard then it shuts down and you keep it up. amps do have heat sinks but best way to run it is adjust it to where you listen to your system and listen for any distortion. your subs shouldn't be singing to you the words of a song, it's mainly for bass so adjust the frequency to about the middle or more bass. this will help you keep your speakers and also don't run your gain all the way up, it'll also kill your amp and speakers if it's not tuned right. i've seen this many times and i've been in arguements and damn near fights with customers who think they are right and then find out different. if you think the customer is right, fry something and try and get it replaced if you don't buy that freaking extended warranty. never know you may be using it alot if you don't heed my warning.

well i agree to an exstend, and also started my thread off with (this is my opinion) instead of taking that chance thru the fire wall elimate that chance and get the thru firewall groumet that will allow safe passege thru fire wall drill hole install groumet that will tighten down on your power wire plastic to plastic, and any connect that you crimp follow it with a small amount of solder most think its complicated but its probaly alot easier then most think and it will elimate any and all doubt of lose connection and totally agree with the ground, and make it as close to the amps as possible, and the big three up grade can be found on the precision power web sight, under big three up grade, your alternator already has a wired going from it to your batter hence the charging system, a part of the big three up grade is installing a larger wire purpose being the larger the wire the larger amount of current theoredically allowed to pass back to the battery and the ground under hood should be same as the wire going to the battery now on mine i used zero guage crimped and soldierd (sorry about spelling) and on the grounds i used similiar set up but it used a allen head to tighten down on wired and ive found that to be the best for my application and JL AUDIO inputs is only four guage or was when i bought my 1000/1v2 amps memphis i hear does have ability to use zero guage which i thought was cool but i really like the JL there exspensive but theres a reason they stand behind there items 100% you capabable of sending any blown or burn out device that jl makes back to them thru the dealer and they will repair which will consist of remove entire inside contents of amps and replacing (usualy for a 1000/1) before shipping 150.00 for the 12w7 you can take a completely blown to bits sub and send it in, they replace any moving parts give you back your original basket an magnetic for around 450.00 and thats half of retail value in there eyes. its a little off the subject of wire, but thats where it eneded up

as far as my exsperience of installing i never claimed to have been an installer but its true i believe you dont have to be a schooled trained installation tech to no anything about installation (ive been into audio for years but it wasnt until i was like 32 before i could afford the system i wanted) or i thought i wanted, i way over killed it. what it comes down to is taste, why spend 7,000 on gear and install it using half but install wire, yeah it will carry current but for me its not only what the wire will do its looks take for instance your buicks would you re do your buicks engine and build it complety from ground up and not clean and paint your components as you assembled them, yeah the parts will work but dont we want it to look apealing as well. and far as pissing contest theres none here i probably should have never replied to thread it usually does turn into a pissing contest with that said, hey guys use what you want or can afford just take full coverage on you cars and everyting will work out either the first time or after you see your car engulfed in flames. with that ill peacefully leave my thougths out from here on in, cause i guess with out a degree installation you are not considered knowledable,

thanks and no harm no foul, and the best wishes and regards to your stereos have fun wit it, its a but load of fun to have some really nice equipment especially if your fortunante enough to have installed it yourself you have so much more satifaction and appreciation for whats in there or i speak only for my self,

thansk and god bless

whats funny is you constitute the discussion where havin on wire as an argument its a discussion difference in opinion an maybe one or more could learn from what comes of it, speaking of people dying for our country, whats funny is we have people dying for our coutry and we have people commenting on someone else's discussion, it is as if you have nothing better to do then criticize didnt mother teach you if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all. ill ask you put that into effect here cause what he and i are doing is harmless and actually ive learned a few things, and would really love to see your stereo system install naw i take that back if were to say that i would be lowerin my self to your standards and im above that would you rather everyone agree with you is that it, its somthing cause there is no argument between him in i its a simple difference in opinion agree to disagree.

and thats about all ill have to say, in the end we all do as we want anyhow and usually dont get involved but i seen an oppurtinity to give my opinion and of course the usual members on the fourm want to constitut it as an argument. some on here need to give the hobby up and actually concentrate on there self being,

its only stereo wire for christ sake.

no chap your ok and drift is just messing with us

as for drift he's cool, just stating what he thought was a verbal disagreement. i was just adding my experiance to what you put into your post. regardless we're not arguing but just stating facts that we know from our personal knowledge. normally you can tell the differance between who knows what and who's shooting off at the mouth or should i say keyboard. regardless i don't know it all but i do know alot. i stated my personal exp but not all of it. if you really want to know at age 23 ran a pawnshop that did no car audio. turned that around and car audio became 30% of our business with us selling sony, pioneer, JVC, Cadence, DB link, and other names. once we really got it going we bought a wall from a ultimate electronics and i installed it in my store. i'm talking about a 36 radio, 12 amp, 40 mids and tweets, and unlimited subs. you know the one you see where you push the button and you hear this radio, with that mid, with that amp, with those subs. it was neat until i left and they had no one to run it. if you ever get behind that it has 20 times more wire then our cars do. talk about fun fun fun when someone who doesn't know what he's doing tries to mess with it. sad thing is all my blood, sweat and whatever went to waste as they pulled it out and loss alot of stuff. over 10 yrs in the pawn business and i made them some MONEY. had a million dollar store outta a mom and pop. now the owner is on the brink of selling and i couldn't be any happier that greedy __________ ( fill in the blank ) there i said my piece and no squabbling here. Just facts, peace out and if anyone has any input please let us hear you.

nope ill end it there as you and i know it dont matter what we say half these guys will totally ignore our advice and do as they may any way just as we did at there age, and they to will learn by trial and ERROR. not to say i want to see anyone burn up a 7,000 dollar system but it happens probably more then we think, so in respect to the other fellow. let us take a moment of silence for the troops over seas and all around the world making this coversation even possible. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................GOD BLESS AND GOOD NIGHT

have a good one

and thanks to all service men and women who put their lives in danger for every americans freedom. sometimes i feel like we take that for granted.

Back