You can type here any text you want

Big stroker V6

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I am positive that DLS had ( may still have) a few even fire 3.75 stroke cranks. But as of lately I have came to the conclusion that crank stoke is almost irrelevant. i am sure that this has been proven in one of the buick books before but 2 identically prepped NA stage 2 motors one has a 3.40 crank and the other has a 3.625. Both make the same hp just at different rpms. i think the fastest stage 2 motor is a 210 cu and the fastest 109 is a 3.4 stroked motor as well. I kept one of my 3.00 stroked cranks just from listenening to old stage motor guys talking about the strength and "meat" on the journals.

Not to start a pissin' match, but logic dictates more displacement equals more HP?

As far as the 210 cu. in. Buick, it was limited to that size by NHRA class rules in a Super Stock GN which was the first SS car to run into the 7's, over 1/2 a second faster than the Hemi's!

After that, the owner had a GN Stage II stroker engine that went into the 6's.

More displacement equals more HP potential. :)

As you said, that guy got it done with 210cid, and probably pushed that little engine very hard. And he still went faster with the stroker motor.

More displacement equals more HP potential. :)

As you said, that guy got it done with 210cid, and probably pushed that little engine very hard. And he still went faster with the stroker motor.

Potential is the key word ... Actual is another matter

There have been many a time when "EXPERT" builders weren't restricted to displacement for class .. and opted for a 25x CID displacement motor VS the larger ..

I've tried both variations on several platforms .. and I will share my honest results... did the larger motors make more power .. MOST of the time the answer is YES .. however it wasn't nearly as significant as you would think... its nothing that a few pounds of Boost can't overcome on the smaller motor.

I don't think anyone will question that a larger motor will make the power easier if given the components it needs... but sometime this isn't the case when restricted by what parts are available

Something to said about a bigger bore unshrouding the valves as well for power.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Maybe that maybe that's why there were other stroke cranks like a 3.59 ( my favorite) 3.58, 3.55 and the 3.750

Back in the day when Buick v6's were being campaigned in various forms of road racing the most common stroker combos were either 3.625" stroke with a 4" bore or a 3.59" stroke with a 4.020" bore both yielding around 274". As far as the 3.58" stroke (I have one of those) I think this was done so that the engine displacement would stay under the max limit even after subsequent rebuilds.

In regard to the 3.55" stroke cranks those stock stroke cranks offered by several vendors which had been offset ground for SBC rod journals and that's the max stroke length you could get out of them. When the overseas stroker cranks started showing up that practice pretty much went by the wayside.

Last but not least is the DLS 3.750" even fire crank, I don't claim to have anywhere the level of skill or insight of Dan at DLS but in my opinion the crank is inherently weak in it's design. This is due to the increased stroke length and SBC rod journal dia. The small rod journal dia. minimizes the overlap between the offset rod throws and would make the crank weakest between the # 5 and # 6 journals.

If you want to build an engine with a stroke length greater than 3.625" then Oddfire is the way to go due to the common pin design of the crank. Personally I'd see if you can find a old iron block that already has a large bore and generate cubic inches that way. The larger bore will further unshroud the valves and promote better cylinder head airflow.

Neal

The 3.590 is my favorite stronger than the longer stoke units and smoothest running, the 3.625 is the longest practical stoke for strength and balance. Lots of guys who tried the 3.750 cranks had balance bolts come loose and other problems.

Toonmany, are you still using the 6466?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I am. I'm running the .63 exhaust housing and will probably switch to the .85 when I get the next combo put together. It's a really great turbo!

Back