biggest rear wheel i can possibly fit without doing a complete back half

xgolferdude

Hey guys, I want to find out what I can do to my car. I'm trying to find out how big i can go in the rear wheels and still be able to tuck the tires in the fenderwells. Notching the frame rail would be fine but I dont think it would be enough for what I want to do. I would really like to run a 18x12 with lots of lip with like a 315 tire. I am running air ride tech kit for the g body so I'm going to be riding low. thanks for your input. any ideas on the framerails would be nice thanks a bunch

I run a 17 X 10 w/ 5" BS wheel with 315s. car is lowered about an inch in the rear, frame notched. After notching and slight trimming of the outer wheel well the combo fits nicely.
18 X 12???? gonna be close. I took a LOT of measurments before I bought my wheels.
Good luck.
TK

Do you have any pics of this 17" wheel and tire combo. I think the largest tire I've heard of was a 335. I was hoping to stuff something huge under the car without notching... I currently run a 295/50/15... I'd like to see what other people have.

295 is about the most you're going to fit without a notch and without sticking out of the wheel well a lot.

Do you have any pics of this 17" wheel and tire combo. I think the largest tire I've heard of was a 335. I was hoping to stuff something huge under the car without notching... I currently run a 295/50/15... I'd like to see what other people have.

Here are some pics of the 17s with 315 nittos, nicely tucked.

Attachments

• center caps 018.jpg
    center caps 018.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 506
  • center caps 015.jpg
    center caps 015.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 470
What is the offset on the 17's and the 315's? That is exactly what I'm looking for. It looks great.

big frikin wheels

thanks tk! If you had to lower the car a couple more inches could you or would it start hitting any sheetmetal? hey thanks for your input I'll start putting some pictures up of the Air Ride Tech's kit up as soon as the kit comes in. Also did you have to do a mini tub of the wheelwells tk?

thanks tk! If you had to lower the car a couple more inches could you or would it start hitting any sheetmetal? hey thanks for your input I'll start putting some pictures up of the Air Ride Tech's kit up as soon as the kit comes in. Also did you have to do a mini tub of the wheelwells tk?

If you are running bags you could probably get it a little lower in the rear without hitting. I think where you will start getting close is the frame section to the rear of the wheel where it bends back out towards the outside as well as the fender lip, and inner wheel well. I have "massaged" the inner wheel well with a rubber hammer, alot depends on how your body sits on the frame (most G-bodies don't sit centered).
I did not have to mini tub but did have to notch the frame. I took the frame back as far as the inner wheel well, about 1-1/2" and plated with 3/16" plate.

Also, I had to make custom shock mounts to lower the bottom half of the shocks. I was bottoming the shocks out on a hard launch (pic below)
You also need to look at exhaust pipe clearance and other items that could hit when lowering. I usually pull my shocks off and progessively "bounce" the car to check for clearance issues.
I don't have any experience with bags and getting that low, maybe others will chime in on that.
HTH
TK

Attachments

• LS1 rears 004.jpg
    LS1 rears 004.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 382
biggest wheel tire

id love some info on this also but here is my question
id like to install the gnx flares onto my car and trim the inner fender to make room for the biggest tires and wheels i car run without notching the frame just some nice big deep dish wheels with some fat tires on it hopefully some 18s
i want to lower the car also about 1 to 2 inches all the way around more of a pro touring suspen set up

thanks
slawek

id love some info on this also but here is my question
id like to install the gnx flares onto my car and trim the inner fender to make room for the biggest tires and wheels i car run without notching the frame just some nice big deep dish wheels with some fat tires on it hopefully some 18s
i want to lower the car also about 1 to 2 inches all the way around more of a pro touring suspen set up

thanks
slawek

Thats an alternative. Should work, might find someone locally with flares and see if you can trim the fenders as to accommodate those big wheels.

thats alot of great info. thanks alot TK. BTW your car really is awesome looks killer. I'll keep ya posted with what I find. Going a new direction in the GN world is never easy but yall's help is very much appreciated!!!!

I wonder what's the largest tire you can run without notching or other "modifications" besides an adapter...

I'm running the 295/50/15 on the 15 x 8" stock Ttype wheel. Still doesn't give me the look I want... (I like yours better- just don't wna tot start cutting...)