Biggie filter adapter,remote filter(single or dual)

ITSAV6

It's my Granny's car!
Which to go with and why? I'm leaning toward the remote. I have seen some 2qt truck filters, any thoughts on those?

I thought about running a remote. I was going to get a double unit and mount it behind the PS headamp. The plan was to put a big ass normal filter on one side, and one of those stupid fine micron filters that can rip out the additive package on the other.

Now that I don't drive my GN 600+ miles a week anymore, I can't justify the expense since I only change the oil once or twice per year. I'm happy with a plain ole Wix filter in the stock location.

Reason I asked is the stock pump is anemic to say the least.It was never designed or intended to supply the extra volume needed to fill external lines and filter.If you don't have some kind of impossible space problem, don't bother with a remote.

I don't have the stock oil cooler due to wiped cam so the volume of the lines is a wash. But I wouldn't mind having a full size filter in the vertical position for easier changes.

The extra volume of lines won't matter. Pressure and volume aren't the same things. If the additional lines did have a significant amount of flow restriction, the cone shaped valve in the filter adapter would just bypass more oil to make up for it.

I have been running a dual filter set up for about 10 years. I run from the pump outlet to the dual filters mounted on a fabricated bracket, then lines out to the oil cooler and them back to the inlet fitting, adds about an extra 1 .5 quarts capacity. Pressure is always withing range and havent had any issues from it so far.

Attachments

• 000_0021[1].JPG
    000_0021[1].JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 123
Filter mounting point is important.The closer to the level in the pan, the better.Keep oil lines as short and straight as possible.All filter adapters are not created equal.Check out the ones from CV Products before you buy anything else.Oil filters have been discussed to death,buy a good one and change it often.Happy filtering...

Reason I asked is the stock pump is anemic to say the least.It was never designed or intended to supply the extra volume needed to fill external lines and filter.If you don't have some kind of impossible space problem, don't bother with a remote.

A properly set up oil pump for a turbo engine is able to supply adequate volume and flow up to a 1000 HP production engine, and we have proven this, not just an opinion. :)

As far as filters, our experience after doing dual and single remotes with good success, we find the stainless mesh filter unit to be more than sufficient for filtering the oil, and we run them with no bypass so the engine and turbo always receives filtered oil, and also it eliminates the complexity of the "Turbo Saver" unit and the extra lines required.

It is easily installed in place of a stock filter with no mods necessary.

The stainless filter will never "track" or have big gaps like usually happens in a paper media to let un-filtered oil to pass through.

Back when I was involved with the IRL Indy buick stuff,everything was dry sump,no exceptions,as the stock pump was deemed as inadequate for the application.I'm sure things have improved since then but past experience with endurance wet sumps of any kind have made me rather cautious.