Blade or diff fuse vs fuseable link???amp?? gauge??

turbo96max

blew the second fuseable link by the starter and it looks like i will have to order it as im not sure its sold at discount auto. wanted to know if anyone has mad up their own , more easily to replace fuse setup. I mean its just wires and a fuse right??

does anyone know what amp fuse is required or oem on the link?
what gauge wire is that (looks like 8 but not sure)?
anyone got any pics of a setup or does everyone pretty much just go with the oem replacement?

I had the same identicle problem. I tried using several diff things that did not work. Found a fuseable link (work great now!) from a small auto parts store in Allen Park, MI, I cannot remember the name. Dealerships and large auto supplyers did not have it in the metro Detroit area.

caspers electronics has them
and they are a supporting vendor of this board
8687fusible links std.

caspers electronics carries a std fusible link replacements for 86-87
CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

and they are a supporting vendor of this board

they also sell a fusible link relocate kit/positive cable that brings all those wires up to a junction block on the
fender CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

Got that kit and love it!!!

You can see the fusable links coming into the rear of the box, and the battery and charge wires in the front side.

Attachments

• Jbox2.jpg
    Jbox2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 206
that kit looks great and sure looks like changing the links after that is really easy, but you still have the links , and getting them replaced in the future. im wondering if anyone has made that same thing , but instead of using fuseable links joined all the wires and used a blade fuse like used in sound systems? or maybe the individual ato blade fuzes so fufure replacement cost 1 buck vs 20??? anyone know the specs on eah link as far as amps? bc id imagine that joining them all with a larger amp single fuse wont offer the same real protection individually

if you look at the plastic barrel where the link joins the standard wire that plastic barrel has the amp rating of the link

I replaced a fusible link

with a blade fuse. started with a small fuse and if it blows, go bigger. plus it can be a theft deterrent if u take the fuse out.

I went though this last summer when doing some major work on my car. Discovered a suspect fusible link I wanted to replace, and figured a blade fuse would be a better/easier option. After doing some posting/searching ehre and elsewhere on the web, I decided against it.

The main reasoning was that fusible links are much more robust than fuses. While fuses blow pretty quickly once their current rating is exceeded, the fusible links will tolerate temporary spikes in current without any problem. This is useful because many devices (motors etc.) briefly pull much higher currents when first switched on than their standard operating draw, which could cause frequent fuse blows. This means that to get a fuse large enough to not blow, you end up using one much bigger than should be used on that particular circuit.

You can buy lengths of fusible link wiring at most big name auto parts stores (I know advanced and auto zone carry them) Usually in the "help!" brand section, or near the wiring. I think the general rule of thumb is to use a fusible link 4 guage sizes smaller than the wire its being patched into.

I figure the engineers from GM (and other car manufacturers) used fusible links instead of regular fuses for a reason, might as well fix it right. Especially since its just as easy to patch in a section of fusible link as a section of wire with a fuse holder in it

Just my .02, take it for what its worth (probably not much):smile:

You can't replace fusible links with fuses. They do two entirely different things.

Fusible links will open when a "crowbar" effect shorts the electrical system. This means essentially a dead short. That's what they're there for.

A fuse, on the other hand, will open when a specific current draw becomes excessive. Naturally, they open under a dead short as well, but obviously serve a different purpose.

DO NOT replace a fusible link with a fuse. Pay attention to what ALL car manufacturers do.