You can type here any text you want

Block, Crank, and cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

#13TTA

Hey everyone! I have a 89 TTA. So I have some question that I need to know about. 1. does the 89 TTA's have the same 109 block as the Buick GN? 2. Crank, I am thinking about putting a stroker kit in. The crank is a 3.625 forged crank. I know that it is not just a drop in job and some work will need to be done for it to work, that is if I have the 109 block. What I will be worried about is if everything is going to work right. The cam is a mild hydraulic roller cam kit. The Stroker kit that I am looking at to get says this about the rods " This is for the Buick 3.8 with ARP 8740 7/16" cap screws ". That is something that I dont know anything about. Is this the same on the TTA's? What is it talking about anyway? I am having my heads and intake port and polish by Champion. 60 pound injectors, TE 62 turbo, 44mm wastegate by Tial, 3" downpipe, electronic boost controller, alky kit, 70mm throttle body and upper plenum, 7th injector, 255 holly fule pump. Any info on the questions. Thank you all.

Craig

the rod bolts are the same for a gn or tta arp rod bolts 0242

ARP Rod Cap Bolts 0242
86 to 89 3.8 Turbo Buick Engines. Unquestionably the most important fasteners in any engine as they hold the key to the entire rotating assembly. Rated at 190,000 PSI, these 8740 chrome moly bolts are a great choice for your stock rods. Will not fit the 84 and 85 cars.

So out of this stroker kit the crank and the rods will work but not the pistons. Here is the web address to the kit I am looking at to buy. Maybe this will help in the info I am looking for. So I need to know what will work out of this kit and what will not. I really want to do this but I want to do it right.

why don't you call them and talk to them to be sure what it fits, you may be able to use all of the parts with the kit.

I don't think you will need the 7th injector. Alky will be helping in that department. As far as the motor build, your machinist/builder should be able to help you with the issues or what parts are and what they do. The stock TTA heads and pistons are different from the GN heads and pistons from the factory is what he meant. Your replacement pistons in the kit should work fine. But again, consult the builder of the engine. HTH

I don't think you will need the 7th injector. Alky will be helping in that department. As far as the motor build, your machinist/builder should be able to help you with the issues or what parts are and what they do. The stock TTA heads and pistons are different from the GN heads and pistons from the factory is what he meant. Your replacement pistons in the kit should work fine. But again, consult the builder of the engine. HTH

yes this is what i meant, again here is their contact ask him your questions and he should be able to help you.
mhueffman@snet.net

i would think you could use everything in the kit.you will just have higher compression and will have to run less boost.

High compression...Pump gas + Alky= Lots of time tuning and increased risk of detonation(knock). I learned my lesson with that combination.:redface: Should have like 9:1 with that stroker kit or close to it. Be careful...very careful. If you intend to run race fuel or at least 100 oct instead of 93oct. you will be a little better off.

High compression...Pump gas + Alky= Lots of time tuning and increased risk of detonation(knock). I learned my lesson with that combination.:redface: Should have like 9:1 with that stroker kit or close to it. Be careful...very careful. If you intend to run race fuel or at least 100 oct instead of 93oct. you will be a little better off.
jasjams with that said just talked me out of doing the stroker, lol. The alky kit that I have, I will be useing 2 nozzels and strait meth. I am not sure if I will keep the 7th injector or not. It will just depend up on the tests with and without. But when I get everything done and tuned just right I will let you know on the 7th injector. Speaking of it, I may end up trashing the 7th anyway. Just remembered that the box that controled it messed up. But I am going to try and find away to put it on a switch, who knows.

Cc

TTA heads have a smaller combustion chamber than a GN. Better figure out what your CR will be.

TTA heads have a smaller combustion chamber than a GN. Better figure out what your CR will be.
CR? what is CR? My heads and intake is going to Champion for port and polish. Does that stand for combustion rate? Why do I need to find out about what ever CR means. I dont understand why you brought my heads up. Dont take my words wrong I really just dont understand what and why.

the heads combustion chamber and the piston and head gasket thickness and deck will determine your cr or compression ratio.

jasjams with that said just talked me out of doing the stroker, lol. The alky kit that I have, I will be useing 2 nozzels and strait meth. I am not sure if I will keep the 7th injector or not. It will just depend up on the tests with and without. But when I get everything done and tuned just right I will let you know on the 7th injector. Speaking of it, I may end up trashing the 7th anyway. Just remembered that the box that controled it messed up. But I am going to try and find away to put it on a switch, who knows.

If you have a alky kit from Razor you can ask his opinion on Compression Ratio. I think more cubic inches is cool, great actually, but the compression bump that will come with it is nothing to overlook. Not to mention the smaller CC(combustion chamber) on your TTA heads. I would do a search in the engine tech and general tech areas on keywords such as stroker kit, 3.625 stroke, more compression, etc...
I have seen how fast the best ideas can turn into the worst headaches and disappointments with these cars. You may want to try to contact some of the more sucessful pump gas and alky users to see if they can offer more direction on your build. You do however need to be honest with them on your goals, driving habits, experience and things of that sort. I have had advice from so many and am thankful for it. You will also have to do your part in taking the time to do alot of reading up on the car and the way she works, likes, and dislikes.(You will learn very quickly why I refer to the car as a woman):tongue:

Champion

Once you send your heads to Champion--good luck getting a call back from them !!!!
I believe it would be easier getting an audience with the Pope than getting them to return a call.

Once you send your heads to Champion--good luck getting a call back from them !!!!
I believe it would be easier getting an audience with the Pope than getting them to return a call.
What do you mean? Will I not get my heads back or something? Tell me all about what happend with Champion and you. Who was it that you spoke with?

Back