You can type here any text you want

blowby resolution and >

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
blowby resolution and mechanics diagnosis

just got the call late yesterday, cracked piston. i asked how the hell do you crack a piston. i was told running it without alcohol ( which i never even let it get close to being low ) running it hard when it's low on gas and something else but i can't remember what it was. WHat do you guys think, just normal wear and tear? was given a quote of 1300 for the RNR of the piston and all the work involved in getting it done right. now this is from the guy who i bought it from and he's got a good rep around my area on working on Turbo buicks. I'm taking his word for it, as i wouldn't know how to tear it down and rebuild it myself. trust me if i did, i wouldn't be spending 1300 on it, should have taken a freakin mechanic class back in HS instead of auto body. but back then i was denting cars like i owned a bumper car facility.

body work is pretty similar to mechanical, you take stuff apart and put it back together. instead of lining up gaps its tolerences. i've been doing collision repair all my life, and i do all! the wrenching on my car. you could do the work,probally just a little intimidated. good luck with the repair,hope it works out. if you want to keep one of these cars running good, its alot easier and cheaper to learn how do do it yourself.

i do agree and one of the reasons i bought the car is so i could do most of the repair. as of now i'm in no condition to do any of it due to having had a back fusion on the 8th of last month. so lifting anything over 10 lbs is out of the ?. i will be able to next year and i'm sure i'll get more accustomed to it by then. sure i'm intimidated by the inside of the motor and not knowing alot of it will make you think twice about turning the bolts on the engine. for now i'll pay someone to do the work but soon enough i'll be the mechanic on it. i know alot about it already but the inside the engine isn't something i'm real familuar with but i plan on knowing more sooner then later.

datant, go to your user controls and add your location. One of us may be near you and can help.

that would be North fort worth texas, Lone star buick club is in my area. last chance i had to make it to denton to check out some cars and get to know some people was the day my wife had her company picnic. She told me to go to denton and have fun. I'm sure that would have went over well, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go with the wife. Company picnics in early june in texas, talk about HOT, over 100 in the shade.

Well I'm in Hillsboro, Joe Schindler is in Benbrook, and Natacarlo (Dan) is in Dallas along with SuperCPA. I'm a little far for you but the other guys might be able to help.

blowby

thanks guys, i'm sure we'll meet soon. i went by the shop on tues and saw the cracked piston, sucked but guess it's an expensive lesson. hope there is a lone star buick meet soon after i get my car back. i'd really like to meet the locals and get pointers and just make new freinds and network on this car and well life. will update you guys soon on how it's going.

there's a show this saturday night. Go to the Texas section on the board and SuperCPA has listed location and times. I might be able to make it this time since I don't have to go to work for the moment.

blowby

thanks guys, well the car should be ready if they get the piston pressed into the block and everything goes well. i'll try and make it and again, you guys are great and look forward to networking and making new freinds in the turbo buick community.

Back