You can type here any text you want

Blowed up 8 sec. Engine=(

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mrsyclone

A couple of days ago I was testing a little bit on the street. My worst nightmare came true. When I launched the truck i heard a terrible noice. The only thing that went through my mind: Oh No! One wristpin blowed up.And that totally destroyed the engine. One thing; it was not junk pieces in this engine. I know, that´s the downside of racing!

Mike003.jpg

Mike002.jpg

Mike001.jpg

blown up

At least you know you weren't being cheap. That is the price you have to pay to put a truck into that zone. Figure out the failure and what caused it then come back stronger.

Like they always say, "They always run the strongest right before they blow up!"

Congrats on pushing that motor to it's limit! You should be proud that you got those times out of it before she blew!

Looks to me as tho the pin bores galled up, locked the pin, and that caused the failure, not the pin "blowed up"...
Cyl walls scored...
Clearances too tite, not enuf oil,????

blown up

Looks to me as tho the pin bores galled up, locked the pin, and that caused the failure, not the pin "blowed up"...
Cyl walls scored...
Clearances too tite, not enuf oil,????

Have you seen the vids of that thing run? OMG that thing flew I could only imagine what it takes to make a heavy truck get it like that. What's the chance a cylinder lost fire and it leaned? Then the wrist pin pulled down on the piston instead of combustion pushing it down? That is what I would think happened.

Hmmnn..

Have you seen the vids of that thing run? OMG that thing flew I could only imagine what it takes to make a heavy truck get it like that. What's the chance a cylinder lost fire and it leaned? Then the wrist pin pulled down on the piston instead of combustion pushing it down? That is what I would think happened.

I'll stick w/my first conclusion..:D
Cyl lost fire = fat, not lean. Piston becomes unloaded, and just "along for the ride"...Until the pin locked up, that is. Fuel washes the pin dry, and then it galls the pin?? Same w/ the cyl wall?

Poor lube flow.
Cyl wall is destroyed by galling= poor oiling...
Lean out?? A look at the tops of the surviving pistons, brgs, plugs, should tell the tale there.

I'm "assuming" this is a turbo application, correct???

ah

I'll stick w/my first conclusion..:D
Cyl lost fire = fat, not lean. Piston becomes unloaded, and just "along for the ride"...Until the pin locked up, that is. Fuel washes the pin dry, and then it galls the pin?? Same w/ the cyl wall?

Poor lube flow.
Cyl wall is destroyed by galling= poor oiling...
Lean out?? A look at the tops of the surviving pistons, brgs, plugs, should tell the tale there.

I'm "assuming" this is a turbo application, correct???

Yes sensai I trust in you. I just a student learning the game.

Wrong rods for what you're doing. Use Oliver or Crower next time.

Guys Don't forget Robert is actually from Sweeden so parts avability is a issue somewhat for him.

Robert are you planning to stick with the v6 or stepping up to a v8?

Guys Don't forget Robert is actually from Sweeden so parts avability is a issue somewhat for him.

Robert are you planning to stick with the v6 or stepping up to a v8?

If he can get Carrillo, he should be able to get Olivers.

Ok, thanks for the tips! Why is the Oliver I-beam rods better? Please explaine. The failure was not the rod.

Thanks Robert

I ran Carrillos in my v2 engine and folded a rod. Sure looked real close to what happened to yours, except that my piston was sideways in the middle of the cylinder.
Regardless of what the primary failure was, I still hold that you should use a different rod. Carrillo type rods (H beams) are considered good for up to 700 hp in a V8. That's the load of 700 hp divided over 8 cylinders. You're running a V6, so that would actually be less than 700 hp divided between 6 cylinders (rods). I know that truck of yours is putting out much more than that.

I don´t know if I´m crazy or not. I have found all the parts to build a new 8 sec. engine. and we have a race next week! Hopefully it´s gonna work, I´m gonna give it a shot! Our season is over soon. :(
Here´s a pic. of the bottomend, you see Oliverrods and more=)

And its running again=)

IMG_5459.jpg

Back