You can type here any text you want

Blown Fuse Fuel Pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
Back around 2 weeks ago, I was driving to Lebanon NY (140 miles away) and within the first 10 miles of the trip I blew a fuse for the fuel pump. I gave it a little part throttle 10lb blast up an on-ramp and when I let off the car started to stumble and quickly stalled. I noticed fuel pressure was gone. I steered into the shoulder replaced my fuse, and went on my way. But, I couldn't help to wonder why. I wouldn't wan't this to happen under serious power. It didn't happen again.

So, here's the deal. I have a big external Aeromotive Pro Series fuel pump. I've got it wired directly from the master cut-off switch, through a 30 amp fuse, through a 30 amp relay, with 10 gauge wire. The ground goes strait to battery. The battery is less then 36 inches from the pump. The pump is getting old. I'm not sure but I think I've had it as long as the twin turbo set-up.

This morning, I powered the pump with the engine not running. I applied pressure to the fuel regulator to simulate 40 lbs of boost for 25 seconds. I did everything I could to blow the fuse. I did it again and again. I did it slowly and I did it quickly. Fuel pressure went up accordingly. The fuse would not blow. I will say this......that pump gets real loud trying to pump at 80 psi! Good thing we don't here it when our right foot is denting the floor board.

What do you guys think? Just an anomaly? Maybe?

Back around 2 weeks ago, I was driving to Lebanon NY (140 miles away) and within the first 10 miles of the trip I blew a fuse for the fuel pump. I gave it a little part throttle 10lb blast up an on-ramp and when I let off the car started to stumble and quickly stalled. I noticed fuel pressure was gone. I steered into the shoulder replaced my fuse, and went on my way. But, I couldn't help to wonder why. I wouldn't wan't this to happen under serious power. It didn't happen again.

So, here's the deal. I have a big external Aeromotive Pro Series fuel pump. I've got it wired directly from the master cut-off switch, through a 30 amp fuse, through a 30 amp relay, with 10 gauge wire. The ground goes strait to battery. The battery is less then 36 inches from the pump. The pump is getting old. I'm not sure but I think I've had it as long as the twin turbo set-up.

This morning, I powered the pump with the engine not running. I applied pressure to the fuel regulator to simulate 40 lbs of boost for 25 seconds. I did everything I could to blow the fuse. I did it again and again. I did it slowly and I did it quickly. Fuel pressure went up accordingly. The fuse would not blow. I will say this......that pump gets real loud trying to pump at 80 psi! Good thing we don't here it when our right foot is denting the floor board.

Who makes the fuse?? Did you inspect the fuse and fuse holder?

Have not had real good luck with the Aeromotive big externals on street cars... Wouldnt give up my nice quiet reliable intanks

Who makes the fuse?? Did you inspect the fuse and fuse holder?

Have not had real good luck with the Aeromotive big externals on street cars... Wouldnt give up my nice quiet reliable intanks
I've been running this pump for a long time. The fuse is as old as the pump. It's just a standard fuse. Never gave much thought about something like that. I have a whole box of fuses mixed together. I'm sure they are all made in china.

I have a 12 gallon fuel cell. I skipped the steps many people make from stock, to in-tank replacement, to entire major fuel system redesign. I just went big. I kinda like the noise too. What problems have you had? Before this fuse blew, I never had a problem before. That's what concerns me.

I looked over all the wiring and the fuse holder. All seems OK. Again, I can't seem to repeat the problem. Even when the pump is stressed under load.

I've been running this pump for a long time. The fuse is as old as the pump. It's just a standard fuse. Never gave much thought about something like that. I have a whole box of fuses mixed together. I'm sure they are all made in china.

I have a 12 gallon fuel cell. I skipped the steps many people make from stock, to in-tank replacement, to entire major fuel system redesign. I just went big. I kinda like the noise too. What problems have you had? Before this fuse blew, I never had a problem before. That's what concerns me.

I looked over all the wiring and the fuse holder. All seems OK. Again, I can't seem to repeat the problem. Even when the pump is stressed under load.
I'm willing to bet you dont drive the car much ... How many miles total on that pump?

I'm willing to bet you dont drive the car much ... How many miles total on that pump?
I would hardly say it's my daily driver. However, everywhere it goes it's driven.
Almost 3 or 4 days a week when the weather is nice. Could be for a few hours when I feel like cruising around. Not sure of the mileage. About 8 years.
cool pic1.JPG
cool pic2.jpg
cool pic3.jpg
cool pic1.JPG

I would hardly say it's my daily driver. However, everywhere it goes it's driven.
Almost 3 or 4 days a week when the weather is nice. Could be for a few hours when I feel like cruising around. Not sure of the mileage. About 8 years.View attachment 255928 View attachment 255929 View attachment 255930 View attachment 255928

Ahhh in other words a RACE CAR.. Im on the other end of the spectrum .. 800 mile road trips , quiet pumps and exhaust , stock appearing, run 10's in street trim

I would replace the relay . Those are the only contacts that are making & breaking , and they are motor starting contacts which draw considerable amperage upon closing . Over time they slowly "burn" from arcing at start-up & shut-down , yes they arc on shut down !! After replacing the relay cut the old one open and check it out . Good Luck , Sam

I would replace the relay . Those are the only contacts that are making & breaking , and they are motor starting contacts which draw considerable amperage upon closing . Over time they slowly "burn" from arcing at start-up & shut-down , yes they arc on shut down !! After replacing the relay cut the old one open and check it out . Good Luck , Sam
Thanks Sam. Seems like cheap easy insurance for now. I'll do that.

Am I reading this correctly "About 8 years" The pump is 8 years old? IMO I would replace the pump. In fact the person that does the work to my car would tell me to replace the pump. You have a lot of time and money in your motor and I'm pretty certain if something breaks it's not going to be easily fixed. Easier to replace a pump then a head gasket, or even worse, a motor. It's old and probably has a lot of wear on it. Also, it's an external pump so it's pretty easy to do.

Yes Chris. You are correct. I would never have even posted this question if I was not in the financial position I'm in today. The pump would have been out the next day. I guess I was hoping to drag this out until just before a track visit. Then I would do a replacement.

Maybe I'll just lay off the throttle for a while until I can get a replacement. I'll do a relay swap and stress-test it again. But for me not to totally believe this pump should be replaced would be stupid and reckless on my part. That's why I was hoping to find an electrical issue that screams out "problem".

Again, thanks for snapping me into reality.

Post some pics of the relay cut open. That would be interesting to see.

Thank's guys. Jack C. told me the same thing a week ago. I knew he was right.

Sometimes, when things are tight you need to let stuff simmer. I didn't know the rebuild would be only about a hundred bucks. I'll do the relay too.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is? I hate to have the car down for long now that the summer is here.

Ahhh in other words a RACE CAR.. Im on the other end of the spectrum .. 800 mile road trips , quiet pumps and exhaust , stock appearing, run 10's in street trim
3-4 days a week driving during nice weather is hardly a race car. not sure where u get that notion from....

3-4 days a week driving during nice weather is hardly a race car. not sure where u get that notion from....

I dunno .. maybe NO AC .. LINE LOCK .. ROLL BAR .. MEATS and Skinnies .. GATES vented to atmosphere .. LOUD EXT Fuel PUMP .. and TWINS just because .. ohh yeah poster child for a
driver ... be kinda like a 650 hp Turbo Busa :) I am sure that's a comfy bike to take on a cross country cruise :)

Thank's Brett. But I think it's more of a "see it in person" sort of thing.
You and the rest of my Northeast buddies don't need any convincing.

I dunno .. maybe NO AC .. LINE LOCK .. ROLL BAR .. MEATS and Skinnies .. GATES vented to atmosphere .. LOUD EXT Fuel PUMP .. and TWINS just because .. ohh yeah poster child for a
driver ... be kinda like a 650 hp Turbo Busa :) I am sure that's a comfy bike to take on a cross country cruise :)
Wait a minute! I ordered it from Buick this way! It's stock.

Back