You can type here any text you want

Blown Head Gasket?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlintBuick4Life

I think I might have a blown head gasket in the 78, it starts to smoke from under the drivers side exhaust header after about 5-10min of running off a cold start in the snow! and smells like burning oil. I thought it might just be the valve covers leaking, had them off a couple weeks ago, but I run the car in the garage and don`t see any oil leaking out from them. also I think my water pump is leaking, coolant on the intake, timing cover, garage floor... and my battery is dieing! WTF!:mad: I hope my check gets here real soon so I can get to Overhaulin' this POS engine!

It could be leaking from the back side of the vc. thats where mine was leaking down and dripping on the crossover.

Ill have to check it out tomorrow then. I should get a can of engine cleaner and spray it off and then check... If I don`t freeze to death doing it:biggrin:

If it's smoking under the exhaust then it can't be a head gasket. If it was coming out of the exhaust then you may have blown a head gasket but an oil smell is exactly that, oil and not water.

It might be oil from the valve covers when I took them off or there leaking. Going to get some cleaner tomorrow and wash it down and then see if it leaks.

See if you can find a set of Permadry valve cover gaskets. They should help you to stop the leaks.

Back