Blowthrough build repeat.

Welcome.
Good deal on the '79
Original parts are hard to find for those if keeping it stock.

It is listed on a Facebook Market page in Dallas, OR I believe if anyone is interested. It's got the badge on the hood.

Back to tech and data...
I found a connection issue with the Alky kit that degraded it's performance I'll start another post on that but it is fixed.
With 99% of the exhaust leaks gone and waste gate/boost controller fuctioning properly. This car was finally able to foot brake boost to 8psi quickly, That's all the psi my stock brakes hold.
Right now car is tuned on 24psi with 20.6* timing on boost and back down to the single nozzle Alky.
With these settings the new engine runs and feels better than any of the past engines did on 28psi+
I'm not sure if I'll get to the track with this machine this month but I do have a local 1/8mi event next weekend that I'll enter it in.

Ok, now everyone save the BS for the BS thread in this section. Talk about blowthough turbo setup and design here.

This car is getting miles but no track time yet. Last Sunday was the Flashlight Drags, local 1/8mi racing at 1/8mi air strip. This was the first event for me and this machine in 2019. I drove it in on my street tune setup (24psi/20*/single nozzle alky) and just put slicks on and went racing. I only did 3 passes because the air temp was really hot and the event was lacking staff which lead to much longer periods of time between runs.
Did great in the heat but I don't enjoy that.
Ran against my friends WRX first it's a mid 12 sec car and I tried a footbrake launch, and failed it. I had to run him down & tied at the end. Next up I ran a 12valve Cummins diesel drag truck which I beat out then lastly I got to run against a 9 sec 5th Gen Camaro, Procharged with 150shot of N2o. He put 2 car lengths on me from the launch and that was it, held that to the end.
I'm ready to turn it up again. 24psi is ok but I miss how it was performing on 29-30psi and the dual nozzle alky.
Only other thing I could have done to test out: pull out 5* timing and turn boost down to 22 or leave it at 24 and spray the 100shot of N2o that is still on my Regal.

I have good updates on this project but no data YET, that will follow soon.
The best thing on this update is the setup finally has enough fuel to perform at the maximum level of the combo I have.

To get where I am today we start July 24, 2019 and I'm at Keystone Raceway park for test and tune. I think the car is good after the two hour drive to the track. It has a new engine but the same old carb/tune setup from years prior.
I made two hits and stopped, no fuel up top and no boost down low so pack it up and drive it back home. My brother took a video of the last run. It's funny and bad how the car layed over and got quiet when it was out of fuel. It went 12.1@119 completely out of fuel and a 2.1 60ft.

After driving the car two hours back home I can now hear the fuel pump oscillating but the pressure was ok. Dang it! I forgot to check the fuel filter from 2018 yet, so stupid momory slip. So change it out with a fresh 10 micron filter and come up with a schedule to change it once a month now after that BS.

So now I'm on to fix the other two problems: no fuel up top, no boost at launch.
I'll start with the boost problems. Yep new cracks developed in new locations and the old crack repairs are holding up. Finished repairing new cracks in headers and that solved slow spool and boost stability.

The last problem to fix made the biggest changes to the setup this year. It was: No fuel up top under load.
Carb is too much now, suffers steady vacuum booster signal and flat fue curve.
So the repair: Add a discontinued EFI system that I used in the past but it's mine now. Speed density, closed loop O2 correction, some adaptive learn capability, high Z injectors. Data logging too.
Swapped in four Bosch 160lb injectors in the EFI, lowered my fuel pressure to 45psi.
It took the entire month of August to tune those injectors in with that EFI system on low boost pump gas (22psi) then high boost 33+psi boost and the dual nozzle alky injection. It was rather easy to do the 22psi boost tune but dialing in the high boost with the dual nozzle alky was tricky, ended up with 77% DC on injectors while on the alky. I've got it functioning boss right now, so go to Keystone raceway park again only to get rained out August 24th. So I've got a free rain out entry to the track again just need the time to get there and I'll have good data on this project.

Small setback on my main turbo, my current 6265 is blowing oil out of turbine after being on a couple different broken engines of mine earlier and this year's retuning session. But I'll continue testing and get out the track with my backup Bison Te62 turbo until the 6265 is rebuilt/reinstalled.

Attachments

• 20190928_155004.jpg
    20190928_155004.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
Latest: The stuff I find when I'm only repairing one thing. While removing the hurt 6265 from the headers I had my shop light near and I see light shining through numerous cracks on that header and the crossover v band leaks again! Dammit.
These are OLD aftermarket Asian headers that have been on this project from the start.
Off goes the header and crossover for service. I weld up/deburr the header and it is good for action. Next up that bad crossover leak (only the passenger side) I add 1/3 of a MercedesBenz graphite seal ring that I cut down. I modified a Subaru turbine two part V band housing clamp to use instead of the junk stamped clamp I've been using.
I've thought I had all the exhaust leaks fixed before, never.
Now I definitely have them gone, the TE62 lights off very quick.
Time to go relearn this car all over again.

I'm following this. I plan to go blow thru on my second car (once I just the first car back on the road).

OK, first car is back on the road, and I think I can definitely say I'm going the blow through carb route on the second car.

I have '83 Turbo V6 block that was already in the car. I pulled it apart on it turns out it was already rebuilt. Much cleaner on the inside than the outside! Pistons are 0.030 over. Crank is STD/STD. I plan to just replace the bearings and put it back together. I have a 206/210 roller cam on the way. Likely going to have some ported iron heads.

If you were starting fresh, what carb and intake would you choose?

The best in order intakes: Weiand, Kenne-Bell #1, stock 4.1 4bbl.
Carb is Holley 500-600cfm or equivalent.
Holley sniper EFI 750 for the ultimate.

Thanks!

Good. I was thinking a Holley carb would be the way to go. I know they can handle high boost and be set up for E85.

I have a stock 4.1 intake and a Holley 'Street Dominator" intake. The Holley has square and spreadbore mounting. Looks like the ports might a compromise between low and tall (I think a lot of aftermarket intakes were this way).

I like the Weiand with the interchangeable top plates. I'll keep an eye out for one. Edlebrock still makes an intake too.

2020 updates: Bison Performance did a fantastic job on rebuild of 6265 turbo as always.
After more than ten years using Asian market headers I was able to aquire a set of stock headers. They were untouched and not leaking, the common crack was only beginning to form on drivers side header.
Following bison's advice from last year. I cut an modified the passenger header for external wastegate. After five minutes practice with friends Tig welder, I finished both headers. Used a section of 16 gauge 304 stainless tube and stainless filler rod but I only have a mild steel 2 bolt 38mm flange on the end of it.
I'm going to build my own "turbo saver" with an oil filter relocation kit.
Those are the only planned early workings for this project then lots of testing at the track.