Body to frame alignment seems to effect wheel clearance.

GNVAIR

I was outside last night taking some measurements on my GN so I could order some wheel spacers to move my GTA wheels out a bit. Bruce Plecan had suggested using 1.25" thick spacers, but the problem that I foresee is tire to outer lip clearance.
I placed a straight edge along the tire and made sure it was 90° to the ground. I thin measured from the straight edge to the wheel lip. I found that I have 1.5" on the driver side and .75" on the passenger side. The body seems to be shifted on the frame. I would like to correct this. Have any of you run into this problem and were you able to correct it? I have friends with older A bodies that are like this. I am planning to replace all of the body bushings in the next few weeks. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the exact same problem. I couldn't see it until I put larger tires on the rear. I asked around soon after that and found that there were quite a few people that had the same problem. The rear of my body is offset a little less than an inch. I corrected for it with the new wheels by ordering different backspacing. I've thought about trying to move the body but decided I didn't want to screw with realigning the front fenders and the nose. But just wanted to let you know that I have asked around, and we are not the only TR owners with this problem from the factory. I guess the guy in the assy line who placed the body was on some wacky tobbacy a few days. :)

Derrick

every g-body car i've owned (alot) have been off.

i usually loosen all the body mounts and square then up on the frame but sometimes the rearend is off itself.

with the rearend on 2 jackstans run a strait edge up the brake drum and measure to the frame in the same place on both sides.

if the rear is off there aint much you can do with that .

I wouldn't necessarily blame the body for 100% of the alignment problem. Ensure that the rear end is square and centered as well. Seems that it would be but there is more than one variable to take into consideration when lining up almost anything. I've completed the R & R of my upper and lower rear control arms with aftermarkets. Wanna trade stockers? My car was pretty darn square.

It's pretty much as John summed it up...Production tolerances for the most part...and some body shift. My GN sits pretty square but I remember putting it on an alignment machine when it was brand new and discovering that the the rear end was not quite right with regard to "thrust"

I think it is not all that uncommon to find 3/4" from side to side. Red's suggestion will tell you if it is body or axle location.

Mine was off too, but I found out when I was doing my body bushings. Sounds like a good excuse to put some new ones on. I got mine 1/4 inch off in opposite directions from front to back. Not bad I think.

My rear end was off about half an inch to the right. It does'nt sound like very much but, on these cars if you're going to try and stuff some bigger meats out back you'll probably need every bit space you can get. I ended up buying the Poston's billet aluminum adjustable upper control arms $279.00 :( . But hey , I was able to center out my dif. and my lowered GN really looks sweet with those 275/60/15's tucked under on stock GN rims widened one inch and a little fender lip roll ;) .

Had 255/50s on mt GTA wheels for a while and they would rub on one side on three Monte SSs, one malibu, and one Turbo T I owned. They fit well on my other T and two GNs.