You can type here any text you want

Bolt pattern in GN engine

• Thread starter Thread starter Tapi
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
T

Tapi

I haven't messed much with GM trannys and I was wondering if it's possible to just attach the Firebird TH700R4 to GN engine? Does that tranny have the same bolt pattern as this engine.

Is there any point in doing this? This is because I know one lazy Firebird and I also know one low mileage GN engine.. Why should I get a TH200R4 or should I?

Buicks use the Buick/Olds/Pontiac bolt pattern and the 700r4 is a Chevy only bolt pattern...You'll need an adapter plate to mate the two...Probably be a whole lot simpler and easier to transplant in the 200-4r(most have universal bolt pattern, BOP/Chevy) in with the GN motor when you do...

What year Firebird??? You do know that the 89 Turbo Trans Am(TTA) used the GN motor, but GM put 3.0L heads on it instead of the 3.8L heads that were on the GNs because of the engine bay in the TransAm was narrower...There are a lot of TTA specific parts used that are hard to find...headers(because of the 3.0L heads used) and turbo downpipe come to mind, along with the 200-4r trans crossmember...

Other than that, go for it!!! Should be a heckuva ride when you're done...

Here's a link to another thread on this bulletin board about doing the engine swap into a GTA...
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35772
I think that they even used the 700r4, too...

Thanks, I got what I wanted.

I think the only hard modification will be those sylinder heads (if I can't solve that problem with new headers and hammering Pontiac fenders). Other parts I can do myself.

That Firebird is from the mid 80's, it's a pick-up for reasons relating to taxes here in Finland.

Back