You can type here any text you want

Boost Gauge Hookup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chiefshocker

Live Every Shift
turbo buick 3.jpg

Just wanted to confirm the vacuum line (black with white stripe) going to the wastegate is the correct line to tap into for a boost gauge. ?? thanks

That will work fine.:)
Hahaha No it won't look one more time Charlie.
That port will not see boost but vacuum all the time. You need to tap into the other line on the wastegate that runs from the nipple on the compressor cover or tap into one of the unused ports at the foot of the turbo compressor housing.

Hahaha No it won't look one more time Charlie.
That port will not see boost but vacuum all the time. You need to tap into the other line on the wastegate that runs from the nipple on the compressor cover or tap into one of the unused ports at the foot of the turbo compressor housing.

Gotta clean my glasses I guess Adam. LOL Didn't look at the pic close enough.:biggrin: Thought it was on the foot, where a boost gauge needs to be spliced in.:redface:

Neither. Those are vacuum ports. The port that you need to hook up to is just above where the turbo attaches to the intake.

Thanks for all your help today, i think i have it now.. This port is at the bottom of the turbo.. the line from it runs into the waste gate. Not the same line shown above..
turbo buick 7.jpg
Also if the gauge requires an 1/8" nylon line.. is it ok to tap into this rubber hose that looks to be 1/4"??

THATs where its at??? Ive been looking for that damned port for how long? I unplugged every vacuum line by the turbo trying to hook up an old boost guage and I was tapping into the wrong spots the whole time....

unbelievable... thanks for the thread btw, good posts.

THATs where its at??? Ive been looking for that damned port for how long? I unplugged every vacuum line by the turbo trying to hook up an old boost guage and I was tapping into the wrong spots the whole time.... unbelievable... thanks for the thread btw, good posts.
I know eh..

to mat231v6, charlief1 & WarWagon
Big thanks for all your patience and help..

THATs where its at??? Ive been looking for that damned port for how long? I unplugged every vacuum line by the turbo trying to hook up an old boost guage and I was tapping into the wrong spots the whole time....

unbelievable... thanks for the thread btw, good posts.
the port you need for a boost gauge is lower. i will have to send you a picture. its on the foot itsself. the big port between the foot and the center of the turbo is for the wastegate. the small one on the foot is for a guage.

If your intake is an 83 then there's one other place you can put it. The intake runner to the number 1 port has a boss on it and mine had a bolt in it near the head. If nothing's attached to where the bolt is then you may be able to put a nipple in it.

If your intake is an 83 then there's one other place you can put it. The intake runner to the number 1 port has a boss on it and mine had a bolt in it near the head. If nothing's attached to where the bolt is then you may be able to put a nipple in it.
I see the spot your talking about, but on mine it does not have a bolt, only a flat spot, not tapped.

If this is a stock engine that has boost swicthes for the dash lights, just add a T there. Much easier to do it there than add another to the line running under the turbo. Actually on the earlier cars, that line is routed over the turbo. Makes life much easiers doing it that way. (MAP sensor also is plumbed to the lines that see boost)

And the line circled in the first picture - I suggest removing it and capping it off. It doesn't really do anything and often the wastegate actuator leakes internal - creating a vacuum leak to the engine.

Back