You can type here any text you want

Boost Problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

brif

I am having some boost problems with my car. I can't get the boost to come down. The car has a turbo tweak chip, RJC boost controller, TA49 (Garret Housing) turbo, THDP, ATR exhaust.

The puck in the down pipe moves freely. I installed the rjc controller per instructions. I have it about as long as I dare go and its still 18lbs of boost. This is the actuator on it.

2011_0709Image0044.jpg

In an online search I have found post referring to this as both a standard and a HD actuator, but I think its a standard. I ordered a new standard actuator. This what I got.

2011-11-07_07-11-29_11.jpg

I installed it and the boost really went high. From what I have found online this is a HD actuator. I tried to email where I bought it from to verify, but its been a week without response. See PL file.

View attachment overboost1.zip

I was putting the car away for winter today and I remembered people talking about setting it up "tuner style". I put the original actuator back on the car. I adjusted the rod to I had to pull it about 1/8" to go on the down pipe. I went out to test it. I really should have just washed it and put it away. I went to make a pass and it got up to 16lbs of boost. I had to back out of it because smoke was rolling out from under the car. My tranny was spewing tranny fluid all over the place.

I had to call a rollback to come get the car and drop it off at the tranny shop. I am lucky my buddy hauled it for me on sunday for fuel money. That being said; what should I be looking at next? Do I need to enlarge the wastegate hole on the turbo? Right now I am really fed up with it. Here is a log of the run. Ironically I want to run 16lbs of boost, but it seems like something is wrong for me to be getting 16lbs set up this way.

View attachment stocktires.zip

#1011-144 = looks like you have just purchased a Heavy Duty or HIGH BOOST actuator.
This is good for 18+ pounds of boost (at the least tension). Add another 7 or 8 pounds when using it in conjunction with your RJC Boost Controler Valve and you will have approximately 25-26 pounds of boost at your minimum setting .

#1011-573 = stock boost levels (approx 12 pounds +).

Not sure what your first waste gate actuator is? but if you've got 18 pounds at minimim, would agree it's probably a HD unit.

I think the first one is the standard wastegate. Put it on with just a slight tug. Make sure all of the lines are good and don't have any rips or tears. Porting the hole on a 49 is not too common but it a Buick so anything is possible. Don't get pissed with the car. Winter is near. Put it away in good condition(headgaskets in place).

Back