You can type here any text you want

Bosch WBO2 and BS3 questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbodave231

I ran into a situation in BG where my WB sensor supplied with the BS3 system went south. The car ran like crap till I figured out what was going wrong.

Not having a spare sensor, I called Precision Turbo (where I purchased the system) to find out what available sensor(s) I could use. They told me that I had to get the sensor from them and no other sensor would work. The sensor that was supplied with the system had the number ground off (Thanks a pantload for that one guys :mad: ) so I couldn't cross reference the sensor and find out what OEM sensor was used when the system was developed.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I found a VW sensor (same as the LM-1). With the simple removal of the harness lock, the LM-1 sensor plugs into the BS3 WB harness.

I was concerned that the calibration would not be correct, but luckily I have an Innovate LM-1 and a 2nd bung on the DP already. The VW sensor correlated perfectly to the LM-1 system.

Does anybody know what the BS3 sensor Bosch number is? Or should I just keep using the VW sensors? I can buy the correct harness side connector to mate to the VW sensor. Maybe I'll just build a pigtail to accomodate either sensor.

BTW, the car ran great after the VW sensor was in place. All the data log made sense again and the car ran hard......just need to train the driver how to cut a better light :) .

Dave

Thanks Tuner,

I was already looking there, that's what led me to conclude that the sensors were all the same. The guys at PTE told me different.......but maybe they just don't know any better.

DAVE

Interesting, the BS3 uses a bosch sensor and not the ntk?

Norbs,

I understand that the early BS3 systems used the NTK. The later Gen3 with internal datalogging use the Bosch. Lots cheaper than the NTK. This is the first sensor to fail in over a year using nothing but C-16.

I bought the VW connector and took the old dead sensor and came upe with this:

Now I can run the VW senor or the Sensor supplied by Big Stuff.

Attachments

• IM002336.JPG
    IM002336.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 169
I guess Bs3 had to make changes to be like the rest of the aftermarket ecu' being able to use more than one sensor type. I can't see your car running like crap if the sensor went south, as it should have thrown a code and went to open loop fueling. Your program must be quite a bit off from your target ve? Have you tried to get it closer?

Norbs,

Not sure how FAST XFI or Gen7 work but BS3 doesn't set any codes or default to open loop fueling. My map is close (fat) but not perfect. I'm still making changes.

When the sensor went wonky, it reported leaner than actual. The additional fuel on top of an already rich map made it extremely rich overall. Instead of subtracting 2-3% fuel, the system was adding 10.9% and that was the problem. To add to the problem, I was watching my datalogs and seeing the lean (false) readings and adding more fuel to the map.

I don't think it would have mattered if the map was perfect, unless I severely limit the amount and step by which it corrects. ( I will do this when I get the map exactly where I want it.)

New sensor fixed the issue, the system went right back to subtracting 2-3%

The BS3 lets the user define the axises of the fuel and ignition map. I'm planning to reconfigure the map to give me more cells in the RPM range and load where the engine operates at full throttle. It still uses the same number of cells in the map, it just lets you assign the cells where you need them most.

Dave

Back