You can type here any text you want

Bought a stage motor....what next?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboclam

Never messed with a stage motor. Virgin off-center 016 stage ll 14 bolt splayed caps 4.1.

All I want is a nice street car motor with an occasional trip down the strip. What is a general cost for prepping the block? Oiling mods? My idea was to go with a stroker kit, GN1s, I want to use a nice roller cam that's not too big and bad 223-223?. I would like to use a stock type chain with stock front cover Dutweiler pump? I will have a confident :smile: machine shop build this right. I'm just trying to cover some basics before I jump into this thing head first. I do have a Powersource book I can use as a guide. Anything would be appreciated! Thanks Michael

"Finally building a Stage II... goal is to finish it and still be happily married to the same wife" :rolleyes:

As long as she dosen't mind you spending a boatload of money you should be fine...;)

look here "Who builds the very BEST Stage 2 Buick Engines" ? on this form - call the one that is near you and talk to them!

the only reason i tell you this is because everybody will have a different opinon but these are the guys that build them and like the form say there the best!

"Who builds the best Stage 2" thread....

I've followed that thread but I don't want a 6000 hp street brick built in 24hours so I can pull it behind my 9000 hp Range Rover and 2000 hp Ducati while using my 350 hp leaf blower. I guess I could call DLS or Anderson but I would rather not waste someone's time on the phone. I figured if someone wanted to they could give me a things to chew on. Thanks for the comments so far.

Just outside of middle earth beyond the enchanted forest.

Just kidding.....the great and wonderful Atlanta, Ga.

Yes, I am a ring fan. Parts? well......block, ported GN1s, ported stock intake, precision dog house, 70mm throttle body and that's about it. Have not decided which car to put it in. I have a converted 83 T-type or a converted 85 WH1. The biggest turbo that I have now is a 67 bb that I'v'e yet to try. I do have a powerstoke intercooler but I think I'll use something else.

Yes, I am a ring fan. Parts? well......block, ported GN1s, ported stock intake, precision dog house, 70mm throttle body and that's about it. Have not decided which car to put it in. I have a converted 83 T-type or a converted 85 WH1. The biggest turbo that I have now is a 67 bb that I'v'e yet to try. I do have a powerstoke intercooler but I think I'll use something else.

No rotating assembly yet? Crank, rods and pistons?

The heads you have will be fine, I am sure you knew that, use the intake and dog house you have. That 67 bb would be a mean turbo for the street with a stage motor. I would keep the converter you have it will work well with a stage motor on the steet.

The powerstroke intercooler will work pretty well. I would try it to start and change it if you want.

As for a rotating assembly, go with the forged stuff. I would suggest maybe an Eagle crank, that will save you some money, JE pistons, Crower rods. Get some opinions on the rods and pistons there are a few different sources on here.

You can use studs for the heads instead of bolts, Cometic head gaskets are helpful too.

Do not under any circumstances use some dip$hit machine shop to do the work on the block, they will screw it up for sure.
Think about headers too. Your 67 turbo is probably a 3 bolt but the motor will like a set of headers as opposed to stock headers. Think about a bigger exhaust housing for the turbo too.

Make sure you have injectors that will handle the turbo. I highly recommend a FAST unit or other stand alone ECM for a stage motor. Buy a bank to bank they will work fine for your purposes.

Most of all, do the research before you buy anything. It is always advantageous to have your builder geographically close to you. You may want to have one of the above mentioned shops build the short block for you then put the heads and the rest on yourself. Food for thought.

Let the disagreements commence.

I've followed that thread but I don't want a 6000 hp street brick built in 24hours so I can pull it behind my 9000 hp Range Rover and 2000 hp Ducati while using my 350 hp leaf blower. I guess I could call DLS or Anderson but I would rather not waste someone's time on the phone. I figured if someone wanted to they could give me a things to chew on. Thanks for the comments so far.

Just to let you know they also build long lasting safe street motors! they have all the tricks and bugs worked out to make them run! (not ever motor has to be fast) And also i would love to take that :eek: 9000 Hp Range Rover out for a ride:biggrin: Good Luck with your motor!:smile:

I've got a 016 stage block in my TTA. I was like you and just wanted a good bottom end. I use a stroker crank and K-1 rods from DLS along with some JE pistons and got out for about $1600.00 on the rotating assembly.

Great

That's what I was looking for. What oilling mods did you have to make? Duttweiler pump? Double roller chain? Cam? What did it cost to prep the block? Thanks

The off center blocks are set up just like the stock blocks for oiling. You can opt to have Duttweiler style oil pump in you wish (not a bad idea) or you can use a stock set up.

Heh-heh-heh... I like you, dude. :cool:

I think you've got excellent options now, with the Eagle cranks, K-1 rods, etc. For a street motor, you might want to take a good look at the Diamond pistons (I think Full Throttle sells them.) They're machined from TRW forgings - less expansion (or at least they used to be.)

One suggestion: don't overlook the stock ECM with one of the MAF Translator setups. I've been using an old MAF-T to run 96 lb/hr injectors and pass CA smog with flying colors. That new MAF-T Pro looks great.

Don't believe the "it'll cost you a zillion $" stuff, either. Good luck.

Call Bob Stanley in NC 336-272-8727 He's got own machine shop and one of the fastest v6s.

Back