Bought my first pistol

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
Decided to give myself a "just quit my old job and cashed in 340 hours of vacation time" present.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14730&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

So far I have shot 620 (ish) rounds with only two rounds failing to load. I shoot reloads as that is what the indoor range sells where I go.

This is my first pistol and it is a lot of fun. Maybe a bit overkill for target shooting but it doubles as home security too so .40 seemed right.

I currently shoot a 1" square at 25 feet and can hit it about 75% of the time.

My only complaint is the trigger pull is long and heavy but otherwise I love it.

Anybody else have a Sigma?

wish you would have asked here before you bought that. The absolute worse gun that I have ever shot.. Just horrible.. Trigger was long and hard, accuracy was ok.. I think its S&W's worse firearm that they have ever produced. Its not selling at all all either.. but if you enjoy it.. have fun:)

Yikes!

It got outstanding reviews in the gun magazine I was reading :-(

My biggest gripe about the whole process was not being able to take a lot of different guns into the range and try them out. I felt I was buying on looks, feel, and media advice.

I tried a few other guns (Ruger, Glock, Springfield) but this one had a perfect fit to my hand.

Besides, if I don't like it I will just have to buy another :)

I like the Kimber 1911 but that is a lot of money for my first gun.

if it fits ya well enjoy it. Seriously.. I have been shooting for about 25 years and have shot many a gun.. It was my opinion. Do NOT believe the gun rags. they are famous for not saying anything bad about any gun for fear of loss of advertising dollars.. want a sweet gun for little $$? Look at the Bersa/Firestorm line. The kimbers are very nice but like you noted big $$ for the most part.. Want an inexpensive nice shooting 1911? Look at the Armscor line.. Got my Stainless 1911 full size for under $450.. This auction is high.. you can find it cheaper.. But this is what it looks like..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40456035

I like the look of the 1911 a lot :)

One of the other reasons I went with the Sigma is the local county deputy boys and I were chatting about what they carry and they were all bitching that they want to dump their Glocks and go to the Sigma. I figured if they liked it......

My friend has a Firestorm but the guy teaching the gun safety class had never heard of that brand so I avoided it.

I bought 4, 14 round magazines to go with it so I have a pretty nice setup for the range.

I will keep it for a few years and see how I like it. I mostly like to go into the woods and kill stumps and set tin cans on logs and shoot at them from 50 feet.

Not really worried about home protection too much as the wife prefers her shotgun. :)

if your gun class teacher never heard of of a Bersa, steer clear of him. He obviously had NO clue about firearms..

Renthorin said:
I like the Kimber 1911 but that is a lot of money for my first gun.

If you do get a Kimber you will want to RUN not walk away from anyone wanting to sell you an EXTERNAL extractor. ONLY get the INTERNAL extractor. (ask me how I know)

Listen to Flying, He is right about the S and W Semi auto's, IMO they really have not figured them out just yet. their relovers are great Smooth tigger (decent pull from the factory) and strong frames.

If you are looking for a decent 1st pistol I would have gotten a Taurus Millenium PT101 (i think that is the 9mm off the top of my head). They are about the same price.

FlyinGN said:
+ for reaper.. About his Kimber and Taurus points:)

You post on 1911forums.com right? I think I think I have seen your name in the 'other 1911' forum.

I really like the PT101, a Friend of mine bought one and it is a great lil gun. Taurus as come a long way since they started to copy the Beretta.

My Tactical Ultra should be back from Kimbers custom Shop very soon :mad: .. if it is not fixed I will try and get my gun shop to return it and get a full size CDP.

How do you feel about Sprinfield Armory? I was looking at a 9mm the XD model with 4" barrel. My uncle was a state trooper, told me thats what he carried off duty and he liked it a lot.

If it's comfortable and not complicated you bought the right gun for YOU. I see too many people go on the advice on "buddies" and end up regretting the decision and spending waaay too much for what the intended use is. When you want to go into competition shooting spend the money on high quality guns and rounds. Weekend plinkers and home defense don't need big dollar investment, but don't go real cheap.(home defense will only need 1-2 rounds in close quarters high stress situations).

DANG! I was JUST thinking of possibly getting a handgun and a concealed weapon's license .......... just in case someone wants to car jack your ride ....

I am going to take the CCW class in January. I wanted to get some range time with the gun beforehand.

My first day in the range there was a CCW class going on and the guy in the lane next to me was having problems hitting an 8.5x11 piece of paper 12 feet in front of him. I don't mean he couldn't hit a target on that paper...........he was missing the entire thing. The instructor came over and asked how often he shot his pistol...."Oh...this is my first time ever".

Yeah....................

Yes I do reaper. In fact I'm on prolly on 8 gun forums.. :) I too like the Taurus line.. I have an 8" .17HMR stainless taurus revolver and its a honey.. Dead accurate and built like a tank..
Heres a pic of it....

Frank

Reaper said:
You post on 1911forums.com right? I think I think I have seen your name in the 'other 1911' forum.

I really like the PT101, a Friend of mine bought one and it is a great lil gun. Taurus as come a long way since they started to copy the Beretta.

My Tactical Ultra should be back from Kimbers custom Shop very soon :mad: .. if it is not fixed I will try and get my gun shop to return it and get a full size CDP.

Attachments

• IMGP1913.JPG
    IMGP1913.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 217
thats pretty scary huh?? And to think you were next to him.. oh boy..

Renthorin said:
I am going to take the CCW class in January. I wanted to get some range time with the gun beforehand.

My first day in the range there was a CCW class going on and the guy in the lane next to me was having problems hitting an 8.5x11 piece of paper 12 feet in front of him. I don't mean he couldn't hit a target on that paper...........he was missing the entire thing. The instructor came over and asked how often he shot his pistol...."Oh...this is my first time ever".

Yeah....................

FlyinGN said:
Yes I do reaper. In fact I'm on prolly on 8 gun forums.. :) I too like the Taurus line.. I have an 8" .17HMR stainless taurus revolver and its a honey.. Dead accurate and built like a tank..
Heres a pic of it....

Frank

Ya, I'll PM ya on 1911forum.com. I am going through withdrawals when it comes to my Kimber, I was all stoked to get it and when it came down to it i made the wrong call.... Ultra CDP (no mag well) vs. tactical ultra(mag well). I took the Tactical Ultra cause I would not have to add the mag well. I made the wrong choice :mad:.

Springfield makes nice guns.. I like em a lot...

DCVING 6 said:
How do you feel about Sprinfield Armory? I was looking at a 9mm the XD model with 4" barrel. My uncle was a state trooper, told me thats what he carried off duty and he liked it a lot.

the best advice when it comes to buying a gun is test drive it, either find a friend with one or go rent one at the local gun range. lots of info on the net about them, and yes who ever mentioned the fact that lots of magizines wont come down on a maker cause they dont want to lose the ad $$$ is right. I know for a fact that is true in the natural products/fitness industry (most reveiws are written by the company themselves).

also once you shoot them and make you mind up on what you want you need to think about aftermarket grips, they can and will change the feel of the gun in your hand. Keep that in mind. I had a Ruger p89 and when it had the stock plastic grips it felt just ok in my hand (it was a cheap 1st gun) then I added the Pachmeyer grip it was simply to large for my hand and was not comfy to shoot.

just my .02 on the subject